Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Video Camera help

G'day guys, looking to buy my first digital video camera and I'd like some recommendations please. Will be almost exclusively used out on the boat filming fishing. Would like a HD camera but not sure which recording medium to use? Looking to spend about $800-1000 AU, not brand loyal just want the best one in my price range that will suit my needs.

Re: Video Camera help

Hi Jay, welcome to the forums. Its nice to have another Aussie on here. I guess the main thing for you is a camera that you can get a relatively cheap water resistant housing for. That will narrow your options a lot but I think it is important as spray will play havock with your camera. Have a think about how you are likely to share your video - if dvd is your output or you don't have a HD tv then a HD camera is overkill and to be perfectly honest most people can't tell the difference between a good sd camera and a hd camera even on a really big plazma. also have a read of the mini dv vs dvd thread as it will hopefully explain a lot of the different technologies and help you to refine your search. you can then have a look at our user reviews site as there is some excellent first hand information available and I don't work in retail anymore so I don't get to play with the new cameras that much. If your local camera store is good, go and have a chat to them as well.

Thread Information