Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Red face Best camcorder for professional training videos for web?

Hi,

I need to make training videos for a computer consultant for the web. I am a professional still photographer, but have little experience with video. Can anyone recommend a camera for this use? It will also be used for theatrical and singing performances with theater lighting which is very challenging. Any suggestions? I am looking at the Canon Vixia HF
    S10. Would this be a good choice? Thank you for your help!!

Sarah

Re: Best camcorder for professional training videos for web?

I wouldn't recommend that camera with the challenging situations you will be throwing at it.
    At the very least I would be looking at something like the canon gl2, sony hdrfx7, panasonic AG-DVC20 or similar. There are several reasons for this, but mostly they will give you slr like control of your exposure (ignore the low light capabilities advertised on many consumer camcorders as they are largely meaningless) they will give you the colour control and accuracy that you will need and most importantly they give you a full range of options for audio, without which your theatrical and singing performances woud be terrible. In an ideal world you can take a line from the mixing desk directly into these cameras, but if that isn't an option you can at least accurately monitor and control your volume levels in camera. Something that the consumer cameras simply can't do. I also recommed that you read the mini dv vs dvd thread as it sounds like you are going to edit your video and it would be helpful for you to understand the different video formats and why you might choose one or the other.

Thread Information