Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Advice on video camera for weddings

Hi, I'm a new member and love to talk about my hobby. My english is not so good but i will try my best. I'm from South-Africa and is a wedding photogtapher but my wife started wedding video's. We did not do it profesional but more for the low income people. We have a Sony HDD camera, but want to upgrade to a better camera, with better knight capture image. Can someone point me a camera with better image and witch is not to expensive for
    weddings.

Have a nice day

Re: Advice on video camera for weddings

I wouldn't be looking for a camera with night capture capabilities as this will either give you an image that is suffering from gain grain (a poor contrast noisy grainy look caused by electronically boosting the cameras light response) or giving night vision mode which will result in horrible green videos. Most proffesional wedding videographers would use a professional camera with a big lens that lets in lots of light, as well as a battery powered video light mounted on top of the camera to provide any additional light they might need. I understand that your budget is limited, but I strongly suggest you buy the best camera you can afford (High Definition isn't essential if you get a prosummer or professional camera as you can upscale to high definition in the computer and save a lot of money by not having a HD camera. If you can't afford a professional camera I would recommned one of the panasonic consumer 3ccd cameras. This will give you the best possible quality without breaking your budget. I still recommend the light however.

Good luck and Welcome to the forums!

Also if you have a look at our reviews section you will find a range of video cameras recommended by our members!
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Wink Re: Advice on video camera for weddings

Hi Skyman. Thanks for your repl. The camera that i'm using is a sony with 3ccd sensor and a 60gig harddrive, but stil it got to much noise and it somtimes strugle to focus in low light.
    But i think i'm going to read some of the threads first and see if i can get a answer.
    Thank you very much and enjoy your day.

Well, I don't know if this suits you but this is what I do.

I use a Canon 5D Mark II. I recently got my DSLR.

I have also ordered a rig (Bundle #10) from www.handyfilmtools.com I will have everything set up on that rig. It is also tripod mountable so I can do anything during events like weddings.

Like I said, dont know if it suits your budget, but will do great for me.

Skyman. Can you tell what you know obout the Sony HDR_HD 1000E. I do'nt know if the picture quality wil be better with the SonyHDR-XR550. I realy need your guys help here. It look if i have to make a choice between this two cameras. I really don't have no idea, what to look for. I just need one with the best quality.

Thanks and enjoy your weekend

The HDR HD 1000E is the better camera. It is an entry level professional camera. The HDR XR550 is a consumer camera. Shooting professionally I wouldn't even consider the 550. I still think you are going to need a video light though. Even the best camera in the world doesn't work well in a darkened reception hall.

Skyman. Thanks for the advice. I realy appreciate your advice and also think the sony Sony HDR-HD1000E wil be a better option, But i was'nt sure with this compact cameras today.

Have a good day.

Hi Elvis, well as you can see that Sony HDR-HD1000E is the best option available for your need but Canon 5D Mark II (proposed by other member) is no less at its business. I have a friend who is in the same profession of yours and he uses the same camera for wedding tasks.

Quote Originally Posted by john tayler
    Hi Elvis, well as you can see that Sony HDR-HD1000E is the best option available for your need but Canon 5D Mark II (proposed by other member) is no less at its business. I have a friend who is in the same profession of yours and he uses the same camera for wedding tasks.
    Having used broadcast video cameras and digital slr's in professional environments to produce video, I have to say that whilst a 5d might be great for planned shoots where the option to have multiple takes etc exists it is woefully inadequate in a wedding environment and the simple reason is that the focus system is too clunky to use for video (despite being fantastic for still images) no doubt this technology is comin to an slr near you but not yet. Also for the 5d a lack of movable screen makes it hard in reception centers where the norm is to mount the camera on a very tall tripod with dolly so it points over the crowd. Having a positionable LCD is a must to shoot like this.

I recently had a wedding and the hardest part was choosing a wedding dress. I had been looking for one for days. Until I found out from my friend about a site like Hamilton bridal store There are so many good dresses on it. It's great for buying a cool dress here!

Thread Information