Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Nightshot on new cameras

Hi
    I have an old Sony DCR-TRV15E... yes many years I know, but still records very well and nightshot is nice too.

But the question is... what happened to NightShot mode? Even Sony only have the HDR-CX550VE with NightShot? :idea:

Can you point me some NightShot models... cause I cant find it any more. Did not find any Canon model with NightShot. Sony has just one... :mad2:

I remember that when I bought my TRV15E, almost every cam had NightShot.

Apollo

Re: Nightshot on new cameras

I guess it is a feature that camera manufacturers think most people never used. Nightshot usually consisted either of infra red shooting (so you got a green image) or artificially boosting the gain of the camera, so you got a grainy grey washed out image. Many cameras record in the infra red range without telling you that they do. The way to test for it is to point a remote control at it and press the button. If you see a green flash from the remote then the camera can record in the infra red range (in most cases there is an infra red lightsource around so this is effectively night shot) I remember when sony pitched their night view features they kept talking about 0 lux recording, well in 0 lux no camera would work as there is no light either in the visible or non visible spectrums.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Thank you. Now Im sure about it... I just dont understand why Canon is out of nightshot...

Anyway, thanks for your answer.

canon is out of nightshot as they don't want to put their name to poor looking video.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman
    I guess it is a feature that camera manufacturers think most people never used. Nightshot usually consisted either of infra red shooting (so you got a green image) or artificially boosting the gain of the camera, so you got a grainy grey washed out image. Many cameras record in the infra red range without telling you that they do. The way to test for it is to point a remote control at it and press the button. If you see a green flash from the remote then the camera can record in the infra red range (in most cases there is an infra red lightsource around so this is effectively night shot) I remember when sony pitched their night view features they kept talking about 0 lux recording, well in 0 lux no camera would work as there is no light either in the visible or non visible spectrums.
    LOL yea, if there is NO LIGHTING, even a still camera set to keep the shutter open for 10 minutes wouldnt see anything! There has got to be light reflecting off an image to be seen :mad2:

In my opinion, night vision video stinks! The Paris Hilton video is a prime example!

Thread Information