Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Need a good, but small, camera for video

I'm going abroad next year and i want to make a movie of my time over there. Kind of like a mini documentary depicting my year... I have a Canon SD630 right now... it's Just an ultra compact digital camera but i've been using it to take video lately since that's all i have.
    It takes pretty lousy video, since i know it's not even really meant for video in the first place.

So, i want to buy a new camera with good quality video (professional looking quality) but that it small enough for me to travel around with. Are there any HD camcorders that could fit in my pocket? Or just small enough that i could carry it around with ease and also not look like a doof who is carrying around a video camera everywhere... Also, if i could use SD cards or if it has HDD that would be awesome.

Thanks.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: Need a good, but small, camera for video

I'm putting in a link to B&H Photo/video for the consumer HD cams. The only mini HD cams I've had experience are the Sony HDR-HC3 and HC7 and they both take very good video. All features, prices and availability are listed in the page. I think that as long as you stick with one of the majors, like Sony, Panasonic, JVC and Canon, you should be just fine in whatever you pick.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Thread Information