Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Unhappy need assistance in cannon zr 85 please!

Hi i recently bought a Cannon ZR85, i am quite happy with the cam, however i am facing issue on transfering the moview from the cassette to my computer. i am transfer the still photos from the SD card to the computer without any issue, however i cant transfer the movies. the small movies i recorded in sd card is also copied. please assit me in resolving the issue. also do do tell me the complete procedure using the USB cable.
    thanks!!

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: need assistance in cannon zr 85 please!

Do you have a firewire port and cable? You will not be able to import your taped movies without them. The USB cable is only for still images and the small movies that you record on the SD card.

I am having the same problem.I am running Windows XP (Gateway computer) and Powere Director and the camera should be plug and play. The computer is not "seeing" the camera. We checked the fire wire and the camera went back to the manufacturer...and the computer is still not detecting it.
    Your help would be greatly appreciated.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Navigate to Start/Control Panel/Network Connections. When you get to High speed connections, right click on the 1394 connection and left click on properties. Under the advanced tab make sure that all of the check boxes are empty. In most cases, when the camera can't be seen, the connection is firewalled and won't allow the connection.

Good luck.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Thanks for the help. However it did not work. I even took the firewall down. It never finds the damn thing and right now it is just getting annoying. I looked through the Canon website and they suggest to get a video transfer kit?!?!? I checked the Windows website for XP compatible devices and ZR85 is on the list...I am just about readyto give up...

QUOTE=MJS]Navigate to Start/Control Panel/Network Connections. When you get to High speed connections, right click on the 1394 connection and left click on properties. Under the advanced tab make sure that all of the check boxes are empty. In most cases, when the camera can't be seen, the connection is firewalled and won't allow the connection.

Good luck.[/QUOTE]

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Have you had any luck hooking the camera into another firewire equipped computer with the same cable and then a different one?
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

No luck at all...last night after me posting on the forum, we opened up the computer and physically inspected the firewire hook ups. Both connections were fine. Then we took the camera, two different fire wire cables and checked it on a friends computer. It seems it is the camera because we were able to hook up another camera to the computer with both cables,indicating that the cables are fine.
    The EXTREMLY weird part is that this camera went back to the Canon service via Best Buy, TWICE. We specifically told them that the problem is the firewire connection....I amazed at the incompetence of the service.
    Regardless,thank you so much for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by MJS
    Have you had any luck hooking the camera into another firewire equipped computer with the same cable and then a different one?

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Sorery about the late reply, I was out of town for the weekend. Its too bad about the camera. Good job on the troubleshooting.

Good luck with the rest of it.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Post Re: need assistance in cannon zr 85 please!

Hi,

I could not get details on how to convert the movies from my Mini DV tape to my computer. Could anyone let me know how to do this???? Any help is appreciated.

JUST to update this if anyone is having problems with their zr-85 or above, the way you make your computer detect this pacific camcorder is by installing all that software it comes with 1st. AFTER that it should automatically reconize your camera and start working. I DONT use the software, but thats how it is suppose to work, the cd puts the drivers you need on your computer.

Thread Information