Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

MPEG4 video option OK for DVD ?

Hello. I notice some digital cameras have a "high quality" MPEG4 Video Recording (30fps) option. I am in the market for a inexpensive point-shoot "slim" camera. Is this MPEG4 good enough quality so that I can burn a DVD out of it? the videos/DVDs would primarily for personal/causal use. For camera, I have my eye on the Casio S600 ($350).

Any thoughts?

Re: MPEG4 video option OK for DVD ?

DVD's are MPEG 2 so if you make a DVD out of an MP4 it will be converted (unless your DVD player is capable of playing the MP4 file). The key thing would be the size. If the image is only a couple hundred pixels wide, you will have a very pixelated DVD. At any rate the resolution of standard TV's is such that low quality videos can sometimes look ok on them. If however you have a TV that is capable of a nice display you will definitly notice the artifacting. If I were you I would take an MP4 file off the net somewhere and check it out on your DVD player to see how it looks, then find out what resolution the camera will give you and compare it.
    -Jason Cross-

http://www.jasoncrossphoto.com Check out the 365 days of photos started Jan 1 2007. :thumbsup:

Thread Information