Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Minor Issue with LCD Screen + Questions

I just got a JVC GR-D271 miniDV camcorder and I've noticed a slight issue with the LCD screen: along the bottom edge, the screen fades somewhat lighter than the rest of it. It's only slightly noticeable, but I'm curious as to whether this is a normal occurance, a defect, or indicative of potential future problems.

Also, I was given this camera as a gift and neither I nor the giver have done much research into camera quality and features. Apparently, this camera model is relatively new as I am having trouble finding reviews and consumer info on it. So, I'm curious as to where this camera falls in the realm of quality miniDV camcorders - depending on this, I am willing to return it and use the cash toward a new one within a budget of about $1000. Here's a list of the features (the package cost about $350):

* 2.5" LCD Screen
    * Optical Zoom: 25x
    * Digital Zoom: 800x
    * SD Media Card Slot
    * 520 Horizontal Lines of Resolution
    * 680 K CCD
    * F 1.8 Bright Lens
    * Color Viewfinder
    * Live, Slow shots
    * USB 2.0
    * Auto Illumi-Light
    * DV In and Out
    * Rechargeable Data Battery (BN-VF707US) included
    * Software with USB Cable
    * Includes blank tape, tripod, JVC bag and remote control
    * Dimensions: 7.7"W x 6.7" x 5.8"

I was originally considering exchanging it for a DVD camcorder merely for convenience, but, thanks to the threads posted here, I found that a great deal of quality and editing ability would be lost. So, thanks for that

I'll be using the camera for a wide variety of scenarios so I would like to make sure it's well-rounded in terms of color quality and low-light shooting capability. So, basically my questions are - what do you think of the camera I have now? And if I should, indeed, replace it, how should I go about making a new selection?

And a couple other things:

(Did I mention I am greatly lacking in knowledge of camcorders?) - I've noticed that there seems to be a negative correlation between the price of a camcorder and the degree to which it can zoom in - that is, the more expensive camcorders don't seem to be able to zoom as far. Is this generally correct? And if so, why?

How can I tell if either A) my computer is already equipped with the ability to connect a firewire or B) I have to buy one of those cards?

Also, I've gleaned this implication from another thread or two, but I'd like to clarify: when transferring video from the miniDV camcorder to the computer via firewire, it saves it as a .avi file, which is much higher quality (at least in terms of frames per second) than mpeg-2. Is this correct?

Sorry for making this so long :P I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback. Thank you.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: Minor Issue with LCD Screen + Questions

I haven't been able to find anything on the D271, but I have found the D270 and it does have a firewire connection. You will need to check your computer to see if you have the firewire jack. It can also be called I-LINK if you have a Sony Vaio or IEEE 1394. The end that plugs into the computer will probably be different looking than the one that plugs into the camera. If that is the case you wil need a 4 pin to 6 pin firewire cable.

You are right about the AVI being higher quality than the MPEG-2. The audio and video files will take up more hard space on your hard drive. I don't use digital zoom unless it is an extreme emergency, once you go to the digital zoom, the image quality will be sacrificed a bit. The optical zoom number is just the ratio from wide angle to telephoto on your particular lens. If yours isn't wide or long enough, look for a screw on adapter lens. My little Sony DCR-TRV22 never goes anywhere without its Sony wide angle adapter.

Does the fading of your LCD only happen on one tape or in bright daylight. How does the playback of the tape look? You need to see if it is just the LCD or if its a problem with the recording system. If the problem is there when the playback is hooked to a TV, its in the recording system. Either way, I'd find some one reputable to look at the camera.

Good luck.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Thread Information