Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Mini DV vs DVD ram cameras

Hello......
    I'm new to the forum and I want to learn everything i can about video....editing....cameras....software. I have been shooting stills for 25 years but I am new to digital video. Which brings me to my first question. I purchased a Sony TRV 950 when it first came out. (Big mistake since it has dropped in price dramatically since introduction.) But anyway, my buddy bought a Hitachi DVD ram camera for 1/4 of the price I paid. When viewing recently shot footage and comparing images on a regular TV set, the images from the Hitachi are very close in res and almost better looking color. What gives with that? Did I really screw up by spending so much on a 3 chip?? Or should I have gone up in price from what I spent to a different model of camera for semi pro applications which I would like to get into. What do you think of this camera and, If the latter is true........what camera would you recommend?
    Also....what would you think of my editing software choice between say....Vegas or Pinnacle??

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Monstr; 09-05-2005 at 03:59 PM.

Re: Mini DV vs DVD ram cameras

hi there, well all i can tell u is not to get a video cam that records directly to dvd, anyone who is serious about videography will tell u that, dv format is the way to go and def stay with a 3 ccd cam if u have one.
    i personally started with a panasonic 3ccd NV-GS70 and the NV-MX500, i sold the MX500 and got its replacement model the NV-GS400 and recently i got myself the panny DVX100AE which is a brilliant dv camera. recording to dvd has its limitations and personally it has no future yet when it comes to serious videography, i look at them as a toy compared to what i use at the moment, and yes, u could say im a bit of a panasonic buff, i just luv thier very well priced 3ccd cams for quality and value.
    another thing, as with all things electronic, buy a new cam today, tomorrow its worth 30% less already if u get my drift, i paid $2000au for my NV-GS400 last november, i cant get $800au for it now as u can now buy them brand new for $1400au here in australia.
    i heard a whisper there is a new model coming out, but not sure if its true.

cheers....GLEN

btw, in my honest opinion, i believe the TRV950 was way over priced when they were released, but the same goes for most sony electronic gear on the market, i believe that sony nowdays is way over priced and for me, i think most still buy sony because of its prior good quality and name in the market place, now days, companies like panasonic have made a big move into the market and here in aust for example, panasonic electronics sells far better than sony and is way cheaper, i think sony needs to lower its prices and improve on its quality, i just dont think they have it any more, but its only my opinion ha ha but then im a panny man thru n thru, but i do use a jvc vhs recorder to playback old vhs video tapes when capturing and converting them to dvd for clients. cant beat a good jvc video recorder.
    Last edited by glenpinn; 09-05-2005 at 07:26 PM.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: Mini DV vs DVD ram cameras

You actually have a very good camera. MiniDV is currently a much better format. I woiuld suggest keeping to the Mini and then dumping to DVD after you are all edited.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Thread Information