Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

mini dv output/upload quality

I have a few one hour mini dv tapes that were given to me and recorded with an expensive/professional video camera (but not in HD).

I need to upload them to my computer for editing.

My question is, if I put these mini dv tapes into a cheaper $200 video camera will that have any effect on the quality of the video when I transfer it to my computer through firewire?

I'm going to be receiving several of these tapes (they are recorded in a different state and mailed to me) over the next few months and was going to buy a cheap video camera so that I can upload them to my computer.

Is this a bad idea?

Junior bacon cheaseburger

Re: mini dv output/upload quality

I wouldn't think so. As far as i know, you'r cheap camera is just acting as a cheep VCR. If you remember what a VCR is. None of the cheep image processing junk is going to touch the data. It just plays it back into your computer. I say test it out.

I would clean the heads first. You could get blips in the audio that kick it out of sync. Which is lame.

-M

Thread Information