Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Microphone issue with panasonic nv-gs25

hi,
    about a year and a half ago i purchased a panasonic nv gs25. This camera has been great......until now. As i read in many books that external mics are much better than internal ones i decided i would look into buying one. Unfortunatly my manual says that the nv gs25 doesn't have a mic input but the nv gs35 (combined manual) does. This is strange as the camera actually does have an input for a mic, i plugged a basic computer mic in it and all that was returned was a high pitched beep. I did however get close to the mic and blew on it, a similar noise was heard on playback.
    Also all the specs on the net say it does have a mic input. The camera even detects the mic as it doesnt let me go into a feature (zoom mic) when i have it plugged in. (message reads 'external mic inserted).

So does anyone know if its just a printing misake on the manual and i plugged in a bad mic or does the nv gs25 actual have a mic input thats there for decoration?

Thanks
    nigel

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: Microphone issue with panasonic nv-gs25

According to the Panasonic site for Austrailia, there is a stereo microphone input on the camera. Are you using a condenser microphone (battery powered), maybe check out the battery. I have a few Panasonic Minicams that sound like they are buzzing with external mics plugged into the mic jack, when we listen on the AV jack, but end up producing good sound. When you heard the noises, was it on playback after you recorded? You might also have a mono mic causing a problem with the stereo jack on the camera, although I haven't seen that happen too often. Try to bowwow a mic from someone, or better yet, bring your camera to a shop and try out one of theirs, you might just find the problem and a mic that you like.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

hi,
    what is the url for panasonic australia?
    My manual says it doesnt have a mic input but if it says on the web site the mic input probably does work. Thanks for your advice (probabley saved me from buying a new camera)
    Since i dont know anyone with a camera mic, Which shops supply them? i live in Perth WA so a shop in Perth will probley be more helpful.

If anyone has any other info please enlighten me.

thanks

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

The web site was www.panasonic.com.au. I don't know anything about the shops in Australia since I live in Miami, FL. Most of my shopping is done on-line out of New York City. There are a few members that will be able to help you when they check in.

Good luck.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

i would be going to a music store to get a mic rather than a camera shop as they will have a better idea of what mic will suit your needs. the mic does need to have its own power source though as the levels from unpowered mics are not really very good. the senheisser k6 module (you can get different mic head for this powered system depending on what you want) is a great albeit expensive one to look at. you also need to find a way to mount your mic on the camera. i have found that many camera shops will stock a series of adapters that will allow you to attach the mic's own mount onto the camera hotshoe. you will also need an xlr to stereo mini cable witch you can get at most good music shops. otherwise jb hi fi often stocks powered mics from sony that will work really well as a handheld mic and come with the right cables. incidentally camera house has deals with panasonic video (the pro stuff is distributed by a company called rexel in australia) so your local camera house should be able to point you in the right direction. sorry i misted your post but i have been away.

hi, thanks for all your help. I will be visiting jb hi-fi and camera house. just with the 1st reply, where on the australian panasonic website does it say the the nv gs25 have a mic input because i cant find that.

thanks again
    nigel

thanks for all the help. I contacted panasonic australia and after a few emails that didn't help i sent them an email saying that i was disgusted at their costumer service, next day i finally get the answer to my question. IT DOES OFFICALLY HAVE A MIC INPUT!. thanks for all the help

Thread Information