Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Lowest Frame Rate?

Hi
    I am filming with a 60fps camera and I am creating a slow motion clip. I am trying to get the clip as slow as possible without jumping. Does anybody know the lowest frame rate possible without it appearing to be jumpy?

Brock

Re: Lowest Frame Rate?

that really depends on how much movement there is in the subject and how good the render engine in the program you are using to slow the motion is. This will also be affected by how well your computer leverages your gpu when rendering. So in short there isn't a simple answer. If you are working with digital video what is actually happening depends on how your editing application handles the video but it could be automatically downsampling your 60fps to whatever the default your timeline is set to. When you slow this down the computer is then interpolating your frames so that the timeline stays at the required output. If there is a lot of movement or your render engine isn't so good then the video will look jumpy.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Thread Information