Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Looking to buy a Video Camera... What do I need to know?

Ok. so I'm going to be getting a digital video camera in the next week or two. But I don't know what I am really looking for. I want a good, quality camera. Something easy to download to the computer. Something that produces a good, dvd quality picture.

I am two Canon SLR's, so I am very familiar with camera's, but I know basically nothing about video cameras. What else do I need to know? Any Recommendations? etc.

My Price Range - $700/800ish
    :thumbsup:

yep. that's about it...

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: Looking to buy a Video Camera... What do I need to know?

There have been plenty of similar threads prior to yours on the same subject. Take a look at some of them. What type of computer are you using, what program to edit and what will you be shooting? Kind of hard to go wrong with the Canon line of MiniDV camcorders, or one of the other majors like Sony, Panasonic and JVC. If you decide to go with a harddrive camera, make sue you have the right type of connection. MiniDVD you need to make sure the PC can handle the small disk. MiniDV you will need to hook up the camera to the PC again. It's kind of up to what is convenient and or possible with what you have, equipment and money wise.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Thread Information