Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Thread: i am desperate

i am desperate

i hope this is the correct place to ask this question, im new to this site so help me out.

Anyways, i recently purchased a sony vx2100 and i love it. I also got vegas platinum movie studio. However, i realized that on my laptop, i do not have a firewire port. So i went out and bought a firewire card, fit perfectly, computer recognized it. I connected my dv cable from my firewire card to my capture cam in playback mode, which displayed "DV IN" on the lcd screen. But when i went to capture video on vegas, nothing was recognized. I tried again with windows movie maker justto see if it would recognize it, and i got nothing. Also, i later went down to another PC and conncted my dv cable to the firewre port in the tower, but AGAIN got nothing.

someone pleaseee help me

thanks

Re: i am desperate

I don't know much at all about video. But I wanted to make sure you got some kind of answer. We recently bought a Canon HD (HG10) video camera for event coverage. We found that transferring the video to the computer was very confusing, because of the HD movie format. My very uneducated guess is that it has something to do with the video format and not the Firewire card. You could test the Firewire card by plugging another Firewire device (card reader, external hard drive, etc) into it.

Since my answer is probably useless, I'm going to see if I can get one of the video guys I know to take a look at your post. In the meantime, we could use a review for your camera. No one has posted a review for the Sony VX2100 camcorder yet:

Sony DCR-VX2100 Digital Handycam Reviews

I will try to get someone else to get you a better answer than mine. And if you've already figured it out, please let us know. I'm sure someone else is going to run into the exact same problem.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Go ahead and connect the camera to the computer with the DV cable, making sure its not on at first. Next turn on the camcorder and make sure that its recognized by the computer. While in VCR mode, push menu and find the AV menu, make sure that it is set for DV out. Start the video program after Windows has successfully recognized and loaded the drivers.

Hopefully this will help get your camera recognized.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

first off, i will gladly write a review of the camera as soon as i get all this stuff figured out
    but i should have said i am playing back on a sony dcr-h38 and im having trouble finding the av menu on here
    but when i plug my dynex dx-fc202 firewire card, that is the only thing recognized, then i plug my camera in and nothing happens.

you were right about having to switch it to DV OUT, i did that on my vx2100 and it was recognized

only problem is, i want to do that on my dcr-hc38, but i can't find the part on the menu to do so

do you have any idea where the switch would be, i can't find it on my menu or anything.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

I found out the information by hitting the google and searching for your VX2100 maunal and doing a little reading. The manal for the HC38 doesn't really say anything about that.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Thread Information