Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

How Can I Get This Footage Onto My Computer?

Hello, I didnt know where to post this because my camera isnt digital. Anyways lets get right to the point. The cam I have is: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-CCDTRV43-.../dp/B00000JMN1 and im wondering how I can get the footage I recorded onto my computer so I could edit, and then burn it? I was told it wasnt possible at this retail store near by, but then a forum told me that it was possible with a few cables. However, I didnt trust either one and came to a photography specialized forum to ask one final time. Is it possible?

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: How Can I Get This Footage Onto My Computer?

Hey Vladdd, you should post this over in the digital video slot, even though your camera is analog. You need to have your analog signals translated or transcoded into digital bits so your footage can make it to the computer. Try looking for a stand alone DVD burner at Best But, or some other electronics joint. Make sure it has an analog set of ins and outs, along with a digital firewire or ilink connector. That way you can burn your tapes directly to DVD from your camcorder, or hook the camera to the DVD burner and use it to transcode, or translate your tapes to digital for your computer to read. Your computer will need a firewire card or connection point for all of this to work. The Mac's have Imovie and the PC's have MovieMaker to get started with the editing.

Good luck!
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

^ Those machines are like 500-1000 dollars and I might as well buy a new camera? I was told I could use something like this http://www.usbgear.com/USB-Video-Capture.html and thats it? The person said this is all I would need, and just hook it up and transfer via USB. Are there any easier solutions without buying a whole machine to do all the work for me? I mean like a set of cables or something along those lines? If not, then whats a good budget camera thats best for its price? Canadian dollars please. I need it for editing, taking footage with my buddies and remembering it real well since itll be burned onto DVDs.

Can somebody tell me how I can do this ASAP? Thanks to whoever takes the time to answer.

those devices you posted will work. They don't give you very good quality on your video though as they record at a low resolution as usb isn't fast enough to handle hi quality streaming video. MJS's suggestion would work as well. your other option would be to get a video capture card that will allow you to capture from analogue sources as well. something like this will work quite nicely. If you don't want an internal card for your computer but you do have a firewire port on your computer then you could use an external conversion box

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

I was killing time at Wolf/Ritz camera tonight while having dinner at the food court. They had a product called Dazzle that was an outboard box that plugs into the USB port and allowed you to plug in analog video for capture to a computer. The box was on sale for $36 US. I can't vouch for the quality but it seems like it will work. We have used ADS PYRO devices and a Canopus AVDC 100 transcoder in the past with acceptable results, unfortunately, they were both over the $200 range.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Care to link me to that 36 dollar product? And would you just recomend getting a new camera instead of going through all this hastle? A digital camera? I noticed that the zoom on my cam is really good so im hoping to get something with an even greater zoom thatll make computer transfers even easier? Recommend any particular cameras? Best for the price?

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Check out some of the links below, MiniDV vs. DVD, etc. It'll give you a good starting point. It really amounts to how much you want to spend. The following link will take you to one of my personal favorite places in the lower 48.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...rch&Q=&ci=1871
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

^ Whats a good 0-300$ camera with really good quality, and easy onto computer transfers? Keeping the same quality also..Cause I want to record alot of things from the street with me and my buddies and I want to be able to watch it on a big screen TV on a dvd and actualy enjoy the quality.

Thread Information