Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

High-Power Zoom (ZR90, PV-GS15)

Good-day,

I am looking for a digital camcorder with a high level of zoom capability. I recently bought a Canon ZR85 (20x optical), which provides good images of what I desire, but am considering returning it for a camera with higher optical zoom.

I have not found many camcorders out there in my price range of MAX ~US$1500 (though I would MUCH prefer to spend less than this, as I am in research, and money is needed elsewhere, I am hoping to spend ~US$1000), that have an optical zoom higher than 24x, and was wondering if such cameras are out there?

I am currently looking at the Canon ZR90 (22x optical) and Panasonic PV-GS15 (24x optical), as the two most likely candidates, due to their high optical zooms, and was hoping for any advice on the main differences (pros, cons) between these two, as they seem to be very similar?

Also, I DO REQUIRE STILL PICTURE CAPABILTIES. I know a still picture camera would be MUCH better for this, but the camcorders give enough quality for what I require, so there is no need for overkill and spending that much more money for a camera that does more than I need.

Additional Information:

Format: as long as I can transfer it to my computer and it is good quality, I DO NOT care

Lighting: NOT AN ISSUE (it seems the Canon performs worse in low light, but I am in a lab and can control my lighting, so this truly does not matter to me)

Subjects: I cannot get too close (~1 m away) due to safety concerns, which is why I desire a high optical zoom.

Colour Quality: as long as green looks green, red looks red, etc., I do not care (i.e., I do not really need to be able to tell the difference between tan, beige, light brown, etc.)

Audio Quality: NOT important

Size: NOT important

Weight: NOT important

Additional Features (e.g., digital effects, "cool look", etc.): NOT important

Sharpness: a small amount of fuzziness, distortion, noise, etc. is not a big deal (i.e., the images do not have to be crystal clear).

Image Enlargement: NOT planning to do this (640x480 seems to be the smallest I would get (on the PV-GS15), which is fine with me).

Digital Zoom: This is useful for me, to a point, as it means less processing later (our computer power is also somewhat limited, so the more I can do in the camcorder, the better). However, this is NOT a selling point, so long as it is decent (i.e., the ZR85 has 400x digital, which seems okay).

Any thoughts/opinions on the ZR90, PV-GS15, or other appropriate camcorders would be greatly appreciated.

Auf wiedersehen,

James
    "Don't take life too seriously; you'll never get out alive"
    - Bugs Bunny

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

lens adapters

Quite a few of the camera companies sell auxiliary lens adapters that are quite good. On my personal camera I am using one of Sony's wide angle adapters and hardly ever take it off. I like to get close and go wide when necessary. Century and Kenko are two companies that make excellent products that do the job. They even make adapters for broadcast cameras that are well accepted in the industry. Find out what the filter diameter of your lens is and give the guys at B&H, or any reputable shop to find what they have and will fill your needs.

Good luck,
    MJS

Thread Information