Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Thread: Help Please

Help Please

Hi. I have a Sony DCR-TRV17 mini dv camcorder. I want to connect it to my computer and download video. I can't use USB because it doesn't work and they recommend ilink (I read about this and called them). I see two ilink ports in the back of my computer (6 pin) but it doesn't have anything written by it to tell me that it is ilink. I called Dell and they said I do not have Ilink capabilities (they looked up my specs), that I need an ilink to USB connector...is this right, or are they just making me buy another cable. I keep buying the wrong cable. My camcorder takes the ilink 4pin and it looks like my computer fits the 6pin (but again, it doesn't say ilink anywhere on the computer). What do I buy? Appreciate your help

Re: Help Please

Ilink is a sony brand for the connection standard most commonly known as firewire but also called iee1394 despite the terms used they are the same connection. as you have alluded there are 4 pin and 6 pin connections of this. most cameras use the 4pin connection and most computers the 6pin although many have both. you can get a 4 pin to 6 pin cable and this will work. there is no such thing as an ilink to usb cable and unfortunately a 6pin firewire port looks very similar to a usb port. if in doubt post a photo of the back of your computer. also if you don't have one of these ports often the card for your computer costs less than the cable does, comes with a cable and some video editig software as well! I recently bought one for less than $20 australian that came with a 4 pin to 6 pin cable and studio 8 (wich is a step up from windows movie maker)

Thread Information