Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Remote control from behind camcorder.

:idea: Do you know of any camcorders that you can use the remote control unit from directly behind the camera.
    I find to hard to believe that this not being put into camcorders as a normal working feature.
    When I am working close up with wild birds,eg, the birds are a few metres from the front of the camera and I am sat frozen a few metres behind the camera, this would make filming them so much easier to zoom in and out by not frightening them away as I try to move up to the the angle of remote control access or try to slowly move up to camera's zoom button. :idea:

Re: Remote control from behind camcorder.

You will find that many professional camera will accept remote control units that will achieve this.most camera manufacturers assume that younwoul only use the remote fornfilming yourself so don't put a sensor on the back of he camera. You should be able to achieve this either with a strategically placed mirror to bounce the infra red signal or with a third party infra red extended kit like those found in high end home theatre setups.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman
    You will find that many professional camera will accept remote control units that will achieve this.most camera manufacturers assume that younwoul only use the remote fornfilming yourself so don't put a sensor on the back of he camera. You should be able to achieve this either with a strategically placed mirror to bounce the infra red signal or with a third party infra red extended kit like those found in high end home theatre setups.
    G'day Skyman,.,I'm a lateral thinker meself so I've already had a crack at the mirror fingo.
    In fact it works using any reflective surface but it isn't always practical.
    I guess I should have worded my post with an addition of what model camcorder for a non-professional user.
    Thanks for ya reply but I am still hoping that a proper answer about a name for a model might crop up.
    It would be interesting to find out if there is any camcorder model at all with a 360 degree angle remote

The reason the mirror is patchy is that an infra red wavelength is about 2 feet wide so to successfully reflect it you need your mirror either very close to the source or two feet wide. I am guessing that there are some models with ir sensors at the front and back but this isn't something they advertise so short of testing them at a willing good camera store I'm not sure how you would find out.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman
    The reason the mirror is patchy is that an infra red wavelength is about 2 feet wide so to successfully reflect it you need your mirror either very close to the source or two feet wide. I am guessing that there are some models with ir sensors at the front and back but this isn't something they advertise so short of testing them at a willing good camera store I'm not sure how you would find out.
    i've just found out that there are remote control extensions available for some camcorders.
    but that still isn't as good as a remote control unit that is unattached from the camera.

Thread Information