Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Getting permissions for copyright material (music)

I'm just wondering if any of you full-time videographers would have some insight as to how to go about getting permission for using copyrighted material in your productions.

I'm just about to complete my first production, an MTB video, and I'm not sure how I go about getting permission for the songs I use.

Do I contact the band directly? Or the record label? What do I say? Do I need to send them a copy so they can look at it, or do I just describe to them what it's about. How do I convey the fact that I probably won't sell many copies so there isn't really any money I'll be making off it?

I know that obviously I will have to included many of these people/companies in the credits, but exactly how far does it need to go? Do I need to give credit to the companies whose software I used to make the video? Any other thoughts?
    60Hz Productions
    Great pictures are taken with the mind...the problem lies in getting the dang camera to take the same picture!

difficult

I would seriously recomend talking to a lawyer as copyright laws vary greatly from place to place but first off i would make a note of exactly what songs u used and what bits of the songs. i would then find out who the record label is that owns the rights to the song. often there will be a local association that can help and you will find that people will bend over backwards to help you not rip off the industry. in australia the association is called APRAA (Australian Performing and recording artists association i think) anyway they will put you on track. there are several types of copyright. and these depend on the use the film will be put to. sometimes you can buy rights on a per screening basis other times you need to buy blanket rights. if you are selling the film then some things change. also it is sometimes worthwhile trying to contact the band or at least there agent. often this sort of thing can be good free publicity.
    i hope this helps, i don't really want to be more specific as copyright is a legal minefield

Re: Getting permissions for copyright material

I'm writing an historical account of my uncle's service with the 314th Troop Carrier Squadron n WWII. It includes all the letters he wrote but I am also adding visuals (photos, maps, etc.) I'm keeping track of where I got everything. Can I use photos if I acknowledge the source and copyright? If I put "all rights reserved? Anybody know a good reference?

Re: Getting permissions for copyright material

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger880 View Post
    Can I use photos if I acknowledge the source and copyright? If I put "all rights reserved?
    To a photographer this amounts to "Can I steal your photo as long as I acknowledge the fact that I am stealing it and that you don't want others to steal it"

Basically you need to identify the copyright holder (in most cases the photographer) and contact them and permission to use the image (they are well within their rights to charge you for your usage) If they agree to let you use the image you need to get that in a contract that specifies the exact terms of the usage including any money paid, otherwise you leave yourself open to a later suit for something like usage outside the terms of the agreement. It is probably best to talk to a copyright lawyer to guide you through exactly what you need in the contract.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Thread Information