Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Free editing programs? (Not this Quicktime-Only stuff though)

So what's your favorite free editing program for PC?

I am currently using Windows Movie Maker 2, It's alright, but has the stability of a loaf of cheddar cheese on the dashboard of a black VW Rabbit in an Arizona parking lot.

I tried AVID Free, but it only does quicktime, so It's about as useful as a surfboard in wyoming.
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: Free editing programs? (Not this Quicktime-Only stuff though)

I like all of the Avid suites, especially since I teach the platforms and have them for free.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Yeah...well I dont do avid because I dont get it for free. (The free version only does quicktime, and sharing quicktime videos with friends would be a PAIN)

Heehee, If I were to get something that I were to pay for, I would get Premier)
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

If you are a teacher or student and have documentation, you can go to www.specialtyvideosupply.com and look for the educational pricing on most products. You can get a edu pack of Avid Xpress Pro HD for $299. When similarly priced, all of my students who have tried Premiere Pro and Avid, keep going back to the Avid. Not the gospel or best answer, just a personal observation of 180 students a year for the past 6 years and 25 years of commercial broadcast experience. I've also her great stuff about the Pinnacle and Final Cut Pro products.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

in terms of editing programs basically you get what you pay for so i wouldn't be complaining to much that avid free only lets you do quick time. I have just built a new machine at work and until my canopus premier bundle arrives (i pick it up thursday) then i am stuck with MM2. I can honestly say that i have not had any problems with it, and i am often running it whilst running, in design, photoshop, illustrator, i-tunes, thumbs plus, outlook express and internet explorer. i have not noticed any major stability issues with it. granted it is a toy program, but then at the moment i don't ahve any projects that warrant moving up to a better aplication. If i had a choice i would be going with an avid suite, it offers so much more to the proffessional editor than premier, but as i don't have the budget i will stick with what is neverthless a mighty fine program. I am looking forward to giving this new bundle a serious workout though.

Thread Information