Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

exposing correctly a scene with two very different brightnesses

hi, if you could have a look at this video please

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoflXm1J6Qg

its a music performance which includes a very very dark room, plus four very very bright TV screens. If I am right, any conventional videocamera would have extremely overexposed the TV screen, and extremely underexposed the stage, however whomever filmed this got the exposure exactly correct. How do you expose two things of vastly different brightness (both on the same field of view) perfectly right?

thanks

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: exposing correctly a scene with two very different brightnesses

This same problem is addressed by hundreds of television stations using video screens and live news anchors. For openers, the cameras have adjustable apertures and shutterspeeds that allow them to obtain proper exposures under varied lighting conditions. Second, a meter reading is taken of the screen, to establish its brightness and exposure value, just like you would any situatiion. Last, the subjects are lit to a corresponding exposure value that fits the dynamic range of the camera. In otherwords, they try and even out the two lit zones. Careful attention is paid to the direction and edge of the light to make sue it doesn't reflect off the screen and wash out the projected image or the monitor screen.

Hope this helped.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

thanks for your reply but i would like a more detailed explanation

I think there is no way that they could have lit the entire stage to the same brightness, or am i mistaken because I don't understand exposure that well

I swear I saw amateur camera videos of that same scene, and the TV screens were completely washed out and the background was completely black

while the professional cameras got it exactly right, almost exactly replicating the colours as they were on the day of the concert.

How is it possible for a videocamera to expose two vastly different brightnesses within the same viewing area?

Please explain this to me thanks very much

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

I can't eplain what I wasn't there to design. I have already told you how I would and have done in the past under very similar, if not exact circumstances.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Thread Information