Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Thread: copy prohibit

copy prohibit

I'm trying to record clips off of various DVDs onto my camcorder. (Sony Digital8 TRV350)
    Some record fine while others say "copy prohibit" on the LCD screen and won't record.
    First I was plugging the DVD player directly into the camcorder, then tried using the output connections from the TV to the camcorder. no luck. In both situations I went with RCA jacks for the audio and S-video for video and when that didn't work I tried RCA for everything. still no luck.
    The research I've done so far tells me that this is due to a security chip and nothing can be done about it. Anyone know if there is a way to bypass this?

thanks

Sony DVDs?

Just curious - are the DVDs that you can't copy Sony releases? Have you tried using a VCR instead of your camcorder?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

copy prohibit - solution

A couple are Sony DVDs, but not all that I've been trying. I wanted to use my camcorder for better quality and because it's easier to download to my computer.
    I did some more experimenting and found a solution - use the camcorder as a pass through to the computer. I plugged the dvd player into the camcorder via RCA and S-video, then plugged the camera into my computer via DV/firewire and removed the tape from the camcorder. I then was able to capture the video (Adobe Premiere) to my hard drive without anymore "copy prohibit" messages.

problem solved - though it would still be nice to have the option of recording to tape in case a computer isn't around. Oh well.

copying copright material is illegal

don't get me wrong i don't really have a problem with copying stuff for personal use, or even copying material within your local copyright laws limits, (in australia academic exemptions and fare use laws apply) although it sounds like you are creating copies of dvd's for non personal use. spare a thought for the struggling film makers before you even make a copy of an audio cd for a friend. Contrary to popular belief the film industry doesn't really make that much money. certainly the latest billion dollar box office smash always seems to make headliness. however what is not generally known is that about 9/10 films produced operate at a loss. the production houses rely on these mega grossing films to make ends meet. however since mostly it is the spectacle that sells production costs are continually rising as studios seek bigger better and brighter action. this is all well and good, but for your average film maker what it means in reall terms is that you have to invest stupid amounts of money in a film that may or may not make a profit. and that often to simply break even then every dollar generated either at the box office, through tv rights or merchandising can mean the difference between being allowed to make more films. this is even worse for documentaries, as markets are smaller and budgets much tighter and yet often the risks involved and therefore expenses incured are much higher. For this reason alone i will not pirate a film from any medium ... even though the technology to do this is readily available.

Photo John have you ever had the copyright on one of your images infringed ? I actually have. How would you respond if someone asked you how to make a copy of an image that was good enough for them to use in a magazine ? this is essentially what is being asked here and i know my whinging is a little irrelavant as one solution has been found (i can think of about 3 more without really trying) but i hope i have awakened a few minds to the ethics of this question. oh before i finish buying pirated movies is just as bad, as you are supporting an illegal act. you can be charged for receiving stolen goods. why not pirated movies ? ok enough ranting thanks Syman

Thread Information