Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Camcorder Confusion

Please help, I am now very confused.

I am going overseas and want to get a video camera. Which one to get? I've read heaps on the net, talked to the sales people and am thinking about the Panasonic NV-GS300 because it's tape and I can get one for under A$1000. I was also looking at the Sony HC96.

Does anyone have any thoughts on which is better, or is there another Sony model thats the equivelant of the GS300. Of course in a world where money wasn't an issue I'd get the Sony High Definition.

Thanks

Re: Camcorder Confusion

it looks like you have picked a nice camera, and i would pick a panasonic camera (especially a 3ccd one) over any sony with the posible exception of the studio cams. out of curiosity i can't see why you wouldn't consider the gs230

out of curiosity i can't see why you wouldn't consider the gs230

Having a look at the specs, because the gs300 has the leica lens and optical stabilization.

I know nothing about video cameras except what i've read in the last two days I have no idea if the standard panasonic lens makes much of a difference and I was told by a sales guy that optical stabilization was a lot better than digital. The gs300 was in my price range and seemed to be the next best thing to a high definition camera

Thanks for the quick response

i was under the impression that all panasonics came with the leica lens and when i had a quick look last night i didn't realise that the 300 comes with optical image stabiliser. in that case i take it all back, it sounds like the 300 is the best camera for you! you will be very happy with the choice and it sounds like you got a good salesman it is refreshing to know that they still exist. he is right optical image stabilization is better as is the Leica lens and imho definately worth the extra $$$ when you have had a chance to play with it a little write us a review and or send us some of your footage.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

We have to go all the way to your side of the world for a good salesman, that's not fair! I had pretty much given up all hope on that one. I really hate when you go in to ask a question and can figure it out with the demo before anyone has a clue at the shop.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Thread Information