Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Audio production for a musical

I am toying with an idea for a short film that i will probably make later in the year. Anyway the treatment as it is thus far is perfectly suited to being a musical. this is fine as i have a number brilliant singers who happen to be competent actors in mind, however i am not really sure how this would translate into the production. should a pre record the vocals and music and play it back and have the actors lip synch to it, should i record the scenes then go into the studio and try to sync the recorded sounds or should i spend more money than i would like and record the audio live via a mixing desk and radio mics ?
    obviously being a musical is going to shape the way i approach the production and at the moment i am still in the scripting stage so i have planty of time to play with this. what are your suggestions ?

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: Audio production for a musical

What's the odds of having it produced on the stage and then shot live, multicam during the event? If not able to do so, I would suggest pre-recording the songs in the studio onto DAT or Mini disc and then lip syncing in the field with a large boom box. (Portable stereo) Use the audio later on to sync in Post with the audio you are shooting. I would also use a regular on-camera mic while shooting so you can have a reference track of the audio to help get everything playing back to the right beat. I realize that you probably already knew all this and am sorry if I've provided any further wisdom.

Good luck with the whole thing.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Quote Originally Posted by MJS
    I would suggest pre-recording the songs in the studio onto DAT or Mini disc and then lip syncing in the field with a large boom box.
    Good luck with the whole thing.
    Thanks, that was what i thought and i will probably do it that way. Unfortunately the sets are to complex and there will be to many discreet shots for a live multicam shoot (also i have a very specific location in mind and it wouldn't work. My main concern with the above method (although it was already leaning that way) is that the cast will start reacting rather than acting and it will show. the story calls for several frenetic fight scenes that will work quite well with sung dialogue and i have a couple of tame composers who will help write the music, but playing with timing on shots and actions etc then becomes problematic as we have a hard to alter audio framework that would lock the shoot into pre set sequences and potentially make the ensuing action appear a little static. hmm you have got my brain working, maybe if i rehearse lots with the actors to get the timing right. mix that audio and have them overdub that in a studio then boom box it back to the original when we are shooting so the actors can mime it. this is getting harder and harder. but i have promised myself i will try and do one top notch short this year and this film looks like it will be the one.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Good luck, I'd lend you a few students to help, but the commute would be a real killer.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Quote Originally Posted by MJS
    Good luck, I'd lend you a few students to help, but the commute would be a real killer.
    when i get ready to go into production i will put out a general invitation to anyone that wants to help, but be warned i get grumpy when i am producing / directing.

Thread Information