Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Another Not Realized Camera!

So I got the Panasonic PV-GS500, and I'm having the same problem. First of all, I use a Mac G4 Powerbook, and I wasn't able to download the software that came with the camera. Also, the Panasonic uses a USB out, not a firewire, which I think means I can't use iMovie! Anyway, regardless, the camera icon will never show up on the desktop when I plug it into the USB slot. I've tried various USB slots, etc, and various output settings on the camera like the playback, the PC Mode, etc, and no dice!

HELP!!!

Re: Another Not Realized Camera!

I'm realizing the problem may be that I have a Mac G-4 Power Book, and the Panasonic Digital Software CD that includes the drivers for the camera, don't seem to be compatible with my computer, so none of the drivers are recognized. I need to figure this out ASAPif I have to return it, so any help would be great. Thanks so much!

Okay, here I am again. I'm having a thread all by myself, answering my own questions! Must love to hear myself talk! Just figured out the problem!

Not sure if this will help others with Macs, but I hope so. I just spoke with Panasonic, and they told me the supplied USB cable won't work with Macs! I just got a firewire cable from radio shack and viola! I had to ditch the software that came with the camera, as it is only for PC's. New firewire cable, opened up iMovie, and there it was.

Sorry for the desperate post...............so anyway, if you are having trouble with your computer recognizing the camera and you are on a Mac through a USB, that won't work. You need to go firewire.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

I read the PM before the post and sent the advice to do what you already did, so never mind. Good luck with the editing. If you find the iMovie wanting, look for Final Cut Pro express, its more feature laden and won't set you back as much as the studio version.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Thanks Michael........I appreciate the responses!

Thread Information