Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Thread: 24p???

24p???

I'd appreciate your thoughts on the level of importance of 24p.

I've read a lot of good things on the Panasonic AG-Dvx100B which has 24p. I'm also leaning towards the Sony FX1 or Canon XHA1 that have the "cinematic feel" (24f?). I guess these other cameras have FAKE 24p.

Is it best to get a 3CCD HDV with fake 24p or save a few bucks and get something like the Panasonic I mention. The Panasonc is 3CCD with 24p with lots of positive reviews.

In what circumstances is 24p or 24f used? Will Sony Vegas acknowledge that recording?

As you can tell, I'm in the dark.....still learning

I'm mainly hoping to provide services of small budget event videography but would love to be involved in filming shorts if I ever get a chance. For example, I just picked up a project to do a wedding video/slide show for a reception with family interviews. Would I opt to use 24p??

Thanks in advanced!
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Re: 24p???

I just went through the same sort of thought process. I really do not like the "look" you get from consumer video cameras. That is what got me interested in 24p, the smooth film like look.

After doing the research - I was leaning towards the SONY FX1 and was going to try out the "cineframe" (sony's 24p answer) b/c it was cheaper than getting the true 24p camera and getting HD in the same camera.

In the end, I really took a look at the SIZE of these cameras and decided it was not really practical to take with me on vacations and given the cost, I could get a much smaller true consumer model with cineframe.

I have to say the cineframe is not that great, but you can tell a differnce than the normal 60 fps shots. I also found some software filters that I will try out as well.

What will you be using the camera for? It is a big cost. Knowing what you will use it for may help us give more feedback.
    Wes

Who are they, where are they, how can they possibly know all the rules?

:thumbsup: Thanks for sharing your experience.

I've posted a few things about my desire to get in to videography. Here's my thought process on the video camera.

I want HDV because:
    I have a 1080P Sony and I love watching Discovery HD and other HD programming.
    I like to create HD recording for personal use and not as a service. From what I read, the regular client is not demanding yet in high volumes right now. I also do not want to invest in HDDVD or BluRay until the war is over between the two. For personal use I will either watch 1080i via the camera itself or via my computer connected to my TV (via HDMI). If my service take off then consumer demand will catch up and eventually want more HDV and I'll be ready.

I want a good SD video camera because:
    I understand the value of 3CCD. Similar to photography, manual controls are one of the factors to getting distinctive output quality that a consumer level camera can not compete with.

Why I was wondering about 24p or 24f:
    Just because I was wondering about it I've read that there are different purposes to film like and NTSC video like output. One day I hope I would get that chance to take part in an indie film. I understand that is a long term goal after I have learned what I need to know with lots of experience. Like what you said, the 24p look can be done through software filters. I read on another board someone commenting at how silly some newbie like me looks for 24p only to output it to DVD which is 30fps anyway.

Why am I willing to drop the money?
    I'm taking this seriously as a business venture. I told my wife if I don't make money the first year the gear is going straight to EBay. If I buy good stuff, I don't have to worry about resale value. An old Canon GL2 still sells for $1500+ and that's only a 25% loss. 25% is a lot but making it a business tax right off will break you even in some cases (consult your tax advisor ).

I've removed the Panasonic from the list. It's too specific for my proposed purposes. I'm trying to figure out a Sony FX1, FX7, or the Canon XHA1. The "Cine" look can come via 24f or software. If my dreams come true I take part in an indie then I'll rent or use their stuff!! Hey, I can dream right!

So what did you get? These cameras are too large for traveling but a couple of weeks ago in Las Vegas, I saw a regular tourist walking around using a Canon XH!

BTW, I just bought Sony Vegas 7 during lunch. In the terms of poker, I am pot committed....meaning, I've spent money so now I need to go all the way
    :idea:
    Last edited by poker; 03-08-2007 at 06:13 PM.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

I haven't had any practical experience with the 24 P and can't give you an answer yet. My Sony PD-150's will be due for replacement next year so I will be looking at the latest Sony incarnation at that time. I have a Sony certified repair shop in my area that has kept them well cleaned and lubed, running great. I like the FX series and am pretty sure that next year there will be a new latest and greatest out there. Some of my students are shooting their own consumer HDR-HC3 1080 cams and the prelinimary footage looks good. It's a little tough not having a real manual fucus ring or true aperture control though. We just ordered a pair of hot shoe mic adapters from sony so they can run a wireless combo rig or plug in their hard wired mics and a mixer. It will be interesting to see what is out there at PMA for the consumer/prosumer video market. I'm just setting up the Avid editors at School with the proper HD drivers so the kids can work on their personal editing.

As far as Blu-ray and DVD, maybe a combo burner to master is the way to go for a while.

Congratulations on the Vegas, it looks like a cool interface to play with.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Discovery HD is the greatest. I can't wait for the Planet Earth series to come out. (DirectTV is coming out with a bunch of new HD channels this year too.)

I am already missing the manual controls on my new Sony. It is the HDR-HC7 - totally consumer. But it is tiny and the picture is great. I am using the camera as the "player" connect via component (I don't have enough HDMI connections on my TV)

I did buy a HiFi microphone as well b/c I can't stand bad sound, but I don't expect too too much. I also got a wide angle lense (but they are back ordered ) and a circ polarizer so I am really planning to use this as an artistic tool rather than just a the ole video camera you pull out at holiday's and birthdays.

Do a few weddings and you should make up enough money to buy 3 or 4 cameras! Getting the 1st gig will be the hardest, but there is a huge market for this - especially if you can offer HD (as a future offering once the HD DVD war is settled)

I too would love to get into make "films" Everthing about it fascinates me. I can't wait to put the new camera (primarily brought b/c we are expecting baby #3 and the new baby deserves a new video camera!) through its paces.

I don't know about Sony Vegas too much. I just go Adobe Premiere b/c the upgrade path to their Pro software is pretty good. I do know I had to upgrade my computer to handle the HD. I have not tried it yet but will very soon.

I can't wait to hear what you get and what your experience is. Please keep me posted!

thanks,
    wes
    Wes

Who are they, where are they, how can they possibly know all the rules?

Thread Information