Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Is a $200 Hi8 camera going to cut it?

I'm interested in getting a cheap Hi8 digital camcorder, probably a samsung. I found them for around $200.

What I want to do is record paintball games, then edit them on my computer into a highlight reel of sorts and sell them on DVD's.

I just want to know if a cheap Hi8 camera will give me the image quality on a television screen that I'm looking for, to sell DVD's of it with. It doesn't have to be the quality of a super bowl broadcast, but I don't want it to be grainy or unclear.

Will I be ok?

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: Is a $200 Hi8 camera going to cut it?

The funny part is that you will need a digital to analog converter so you can get the whole thing onto the computer in the first place. Personally, I'd look for a low end MiniDV or D8 and keep the whole thing digital and not lose the quality. If you are going to be shooting screen shots from a computer monitor or TV, you will need a camera that you can adjust the shutter speed on so that the screen won't "roll".

Good luck.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Re: Is a $200 Hi8 camera going to cut it?

i sort of agree with mjs, but dont understand why recording a tv screen or monitor would be required for paintball. are you refering to the skirmish style game where people shoot paint filled pellets? basically to edit stuff on a computer you need a way of getting the video from the camera to the computer to edit it. with a digital video camera either mini dv or digital 8 this will proove cheaper easier faster and be of higher quality than with an 8mm analogue camera. (factoring the device to convert the 8mm anologue to digital into the price) oh if you are planning on selling this stuff then you need to buy the copyright for any music you may use in the films.

Thread Information