Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Go To DSLR?

Re: Why Go To DSLR?

To be honest the question I would ask is: 'Why stick with film?'

I've been a P&S user for years, but wanted the option to tweak my shots as using a P&S got a little boring for me. After a couple months of researching and saving, I recently upgrade to a DSLR (Canon T2i) with a EF-S 55-250mm lens. I'm still learning this camera but pics in "auto" mode alone are amazing, you totally see the difference between a DSLR shot vs a P&S shot. I was/am also using a casio Exilim 10mp camera. You'll spend hundreds for a DSLR set-up that you like, but its an investment towards better quality photos/video's for the long run, especially if you like taking pics of your family/vacations/etc. You can be more creative with a DSLR. Photos are snapshots in your life that sometimes never happen again. When you upgrade a DSLR, you buy lenses to your liking, and your more likely to get a far better value later on your used DSLR equipment vs a P&S. P&S used to be the way to go because of portability, but I found on recent trips that more people were taking pics with DSLR's than P&S.
    Canon T2i
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm lens
    Canon EF-S 18-55mm lens
    Rocketfish UV Filter (55-250mm)
    Tffen UV Filter (18-55mm)
    ET-60 Lens Hood (55-250mm)
    Battery Grip

I'm pretty pumped to upgrade to a DSLR, they seem the do everything camera

Quote Originally Posted by dylanpipe View Post
    I'm pretty pumped to upgrade to a DSLR, they seem the do everything camera
    Nah, they only do as much as the attached lens lets them.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    Nah, they only do as much as the attached lens lets them.
    Nah, they only do as much as the photographic talent of the person using the camera.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Quote Originally Posted by poker View Post
    Nah, they only do as much as the photographic talent of the person using the camera.
    Nah, thats an open and free limitation that is constantly changing, and only abstractly measurable. A lens actually is the technical limitation of a camera. All the talent in the world isn't going to fill the frame with the moon on a 50mm lens. Unless your talent is flying into space ;)
    - Charlie

Learning more everyday! maplestreet's Avatar

Nah,

I really have nothing to add I just wanted to get in on saying "Nah"
    Bert

Feel free to edit and repost my photos for critique if you feel so inclined! :idea:

Canon 40D
    Canon 7D
    Canon EOS Rebel 2000
    Canon Powershot SX120
    -----------------------------------
    EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
    EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS

Quote Originally Posted by coachgns View Post
    I've recently begun to do some serious (but amateur) photography, and am thinknig of "upgrading" to a DSLR. But I'd like to know WHY - will I get more from it.

I have been using a Nikon Coolpix 8800 for a couple of years. Other than being very slow writing on the cards when shooting large pics, I like the results I'm getting. It has 8 megs, and a 10X zoom. Also decent Macro.
    A large electronic swivel viewfinder, and a fairly large lens.

I like taking nature, cityscapes & people. Not doing sports or portraits at this time.

So if I go to a DSLR, what will I get that I don't have with this?

Thanks
    For me, I went to the DSLR for the flexibility and the fast shooting/writing cycles. I can put it into multi-shot mode where it will take 3 shots per second (of course you have to use a high-speed card). I like the fact that it has a traditional viewfinder and unlike a rangefinder, what you see is actually what you get since you're looking through the lens itself. Many of the new DSLRs also allow you to use the display to frame the shot if you're accustomed to that from using the P&S and want to continue doing that. The greatest thing is the ability to change lenses so you have a plethora of different lenses that can be used with the camera. If it's a "name-brand" model, you'll not only have the OEM's lenses to choose from, but also many of the quality aftermarket lenses as well. Most DSLRs also have the same kinds of auto settings as your P&S; scene selections, Programmed, aperture priority, shutter priority, full manual, and the like. By acquiring an external flash unit, you can also extend the range of your shooting; instead of being limited to 10 feet or so with the built-in flash, you can shoot upwards of 60 feet or more with a good lens and powerful flash unit. Flexibility is the name of the game here. The biggest drawback to DSLRs in this realm of course, is the size. It definitely won't be as convenient as a P&S that fits in your shirt pocket, but the results are worth it.

Actually you don't need a high speed card to achieve 3fps. In fact, you can use the slowest card on the planet and still achieve 3 fps. Because it immediately writes the files to the image buffer, not the memory card. The speed of the memory card isn't relevant in cycle time process until the image buffer is full and starts writing off to it, which is usually something like 20 raws or 40 jpegs, variable depending on camera model.

A "name brand" model? OEM is not the right word for it, rather, first party. That said, ALL brands are "name brands", even though some people may think Canon and Nikon are the only ones, they have some stellar competition as well.

You can get point and shoots with a hot shoe. The benefit to adding light is more so being able to change the angle of light source so its not pan-flat as you get with stock flash.
    - Charlie

Compared to what coachgns? The 8800 is already a high-end camera in my opinion - I guess it just depends on what your price range is. In a similar price range look at the Pentax K-5 which I've really enjoyed using.

I'm new to using Digital SLR for still/product photogrpahy

Hey everyone,

I'm Mike McKay out of New York, New York

I got a DSLR for film making and have now gotten a job doing photography. I just need to know some pointers, lighting especially, on taking pictures of consumer goods. I own a Switronix Torch LED BOLT, it is the only light I own right now.

Here are the specs for the light

Color Temperature: 3000K-6000K
    Illumination: Approx. 1800LUX(3200K, 1m), 2000LUX(5600K, 1m), combined over 200w output equivalent
    Weight: 1.15lbs.
    Electrical Consumption: 16w
    Power Supply: DC 7.2V-16.8V, Sony DV Battery
    Light Adjustment: PWM (pulse width modulation)
    Dimming Range: 5%-100%

If anyone can give me advice and not be a total elitist about it, I do realize I'm new at this but any help would be awesome.

pics of consumer goods, requires an attention to the texture detail, opacity, and reflectivity of the object. Depending on the texture is how you decide how to position the light, and the type of illumination. A tent is a common trick as a do-all photo kit, but it is limited. With some rich textures, it is good to have a single and small area light source, raise the fine details of the texture.

I don't know what kind of light that is, but my guess is it may need to be manual only, with no auto ttl metering. Meaning, you control the power output, which is ideal anyway. If you want to make do with just one light, get some reflectors and diffuser panels, or build them.
    - Charlie

Allow one to have the image saved as data on a cpu, furthermore sucsessible to deferent degrees of image manipulation, never forgating speed as well. you look what you got - ASP

I think most of these guys have said it already.

You get better image quality, better lenses to suit your shooting needs, and just better overall control of your camera. Such as shutter speeds, aperture, and ISO ranges. Some point and shoot cameras allow you to change all this, but most don't and that's where a DSLR falls into play.

Not to mention all the fun filters you get to use. So I would say, yes, it's worth upgrading to a DSLR.

BEST WE LOVE DIGITAL.. I always want to know whats next??? affter Digital???

DSLR gives you the control and flexibility to handle the many different situations you want to capture. Sometimes that translates into the variety of camera settings and sometimes the lens you choose but when they come together just right, you're rewarded with an incredible image.

Thx for share

pics of consumer goods, requires an attention to the texture detail, opacity, and reflectivity of the object. Depending on the texture is how you decide how to position the light, and the type of illumination. A tent is a common trick as a do-all photo kit, but it is limited. With some rich textures, it is good to have a single and small area light source, raise the fine details of the texture.

I don't know what kind of light that is, but my guess is it may need to be manual only, with no auto ttl metering. Meaning, you control the power output, which is ideal anyway. If you want to make do with just one light, get some reflectors and diffuser panels, or build them.
    I agree with you

For someone who last owned an slr camera some 30 years ago, together with all the associated gear, bulk film (fp4, HP5 etc) and all the dark room equipment and chemicals, my new DSLR is amazing. With a 16GB card I now have the freedom to take 1000's of shots and process in the comfort of my studio in front of my Mac. I don't want to remember what it was like with film!

Point and shoot cameras are great and take great pictures, however, many times by the time you power up your point and shoot camera, the moment is gone. Slow start-up until it's ready to shoot. dslr are ready to go in an instant.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Keeping it light and simple.

Because i want the camera to take the pict when I press the button!

I suspect DSLRs are the new trend..

My first camera was the Nikon 4500 .. nice lasted me q few years

good advice

there are TONS of differences - but I'd probably say the biggest one is ISO.

sure, other cameras offer you 800 or 1600. but my minolta 5D's noise looks better at 3200 then any digicams look at 400 or 800... optics too... of course.
    agree this is a important factor

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information