Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Who has the knowledge?

Hello All,

I am new to photography. I have owned many digital point and shoot camera's. But today I purchased a Canon EOS DSLR 1Ti. I have no idea how to use it but I plan on learning.

I would like to purchase a wide angle lens. I have the biggest headache from reading infromation from all over the web. I've read that Canon lens are so so, other people suggest purchasing Sigma lens, etc...... I have no idea what I should be looking for. The numbers in the description of the lens mean nothing to me.

Can someone recommend a good wide angle lens? Does price always mean the lens is better?

Thank you for your input.:mad2:
    I am a Newbie Learning How to Become a Hobbiest Photographer:idea:

Re: Who has the knowledge?

I found this article to be pretty interesting and I try to post it up when ever I see questions like this. I think that you need to look at more than just what lens will allow the best image quality for the money but also how the build quality is and I think that lens rental businesses know the most in that category.

http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2009...repair-data-30

http://www.lensrentals.com/news
    Feel free to edit my images, just let me know what you did.

Nikon D90 w/18-105 VR, 70-300VR, 35mm f1.8G &Tamron 10-24 f3.5-4.5
    Nikon SB-600 Speedlight (x2) w/ Gary Fong 1/2 Cloud Light Sphere (x2) and 1 Cloud
    Slik Pro 700DX tripod w/Vanguard SBH-200 ball-head
    Panasonic ZS8

My photo's:
    http://s1227.photobucket.com/albums/...20Photography/

Canon makes good quality lenses, but the really good stuff is very expensive. Their lower end lenses are good working lenses though. I use my kit lens and a 55-250 as my everyday lenses. I have started renting the high end stuff when going on trips though.

For a wide angle, I (and several others here, since they recommended it to me!) would recommend the Tokina 12-24 or 11-16. Really good quality and lovely glass. I haven't used mine alot but haven't regretted buying it for one minute.

The people I really trust are the professional reviewers in the well-established photo magazines. The manufacturers willingly lend them cameras and lenses to test, their revenue mostly comes from magazine sales and not from advertising so they can write what they want, they are in close contact with professional users of the material and in some cases they are even in contact with the manufacturers engineers developing new products. My best example is Chasseurs d'Images but as it's in French you're not likely to have access to it.

Next best are the professional reviewers on the Internet sites like this one. They don't go back so far, they are somewhat dependent on advertising but I listen to them.

Third best are user reviews on sites like this one. Some people have wrong expectations, some people have just no clue but when you get 10 ordinary people saying the same thing then there's probably something in it.

I look at all these sources AND I test my own material to find out what I can actually achieve. Usually it's pretty consistent.

My opinion (not knowledge) on some of your questions:

- I think that you do get what you pay for but you don't necessarily need the best. The top-flight professional lenses are expensive partly because they're made for heavy use (I've had my pro lenses for 10 years already with no sign of wear but I'm an amateur)
    - Canon make a lot of excellent lenses and a few duff ones (the number is decreasing). The 10-22 ultra wide angle is one of the best lenses on the market according to the tests
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

First of all you should start taking pics with the current lens you are having. Then you can go and switch to some other good lens.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I'm a Nikon guy so don't know Canon lenses.
    I do have a Tokina 12-24 which I don't use enough as it is amazingly sharp and the colors seem more vibrant when I use it.
    I would look into it,(they make them for Canons too), and/or the newer Tokina 11-16 f/2.8.
    Its not much more and the f/2.8 must be sweet.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Budget?

More money pretty much does mean a lens will be better. Whether it's actually worth spending more is a separate issue. Why don't you tell us what you've looked at, how much you plan to spend and what you plan to use the lens for. Then we can give you some good direction
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais
    The people I really trust are the professional reviewers in the well-established photo magazines. The manufacturers willingly lend them cameras and lenses to test, their revenue mostly comes from magazine sales and not from advertising so they can write what they want, they are in close contact with professional users of the material and in some cases they are even in contact with the manufacturers engineers developing new products. My best example is Chasseurs d'Images but as it's in French you're not likely to have access to it.

Next best are the professional reviewers on the Internet sites like this one. They don't go back so far, they are somewhat dependent on advertising but I listen to them.

Third best are user reviews on sites like this one. Some people have wrong expectations, some people have just no clue but when you get 10 ordinary people saying the same thing then there's probably something in it.

I look at all these sources AND I test my own material to find out what I can actually achieve. Usually it's pretty consistent.

My opinion (not knowledge) on some of your questions:

- I think that you do get what you pay for but you don't necessarily need the best. The top-flight professional lenses are expensive partly because they're made for heavy use (I've had my pro lenses for 10 years already with no sign of wear but I'm an amateur)
    - Canon make a lot of excellent lenses and a few duff ones (the number is decreasing). The 10-22 ultra wide angle is one of the best lenses on the market according to the tests
    Can you tell me which lens it is on Canon's website? I looked for Ultra Wide Angle 10-22 but I could not find it. I would greatly apprecaite your help.
    Thanks, --jeff
    I am a Newbie Learning How to Become a Hobbiest Photographer:idea:

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Do you have google? I did a quick google and found lots of sites selling and reviews which were good. Looks to be around a 7 to 8 hundred dollar lens +/-.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...t&oq=canon+10-
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thread Information