Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: Softball Shots

Question Softball Shots

Deciding between Canon EOS D10 with EF300 f2.8L IS and Nikon D70 AF-S Nikkor 300 f/2.8. Have a couple of Nikkor lenses so thought I wanted the Nikon, but primarily shoot girls softball (for fun only) and many have said go Canon. Any suggestions? Also, lenses are costly; any suggestions on 200 lens with teleconverter?

D70 .EASY QUESTION.FOR SEVERAL REASONS.JUST ONE IS FLASH SYNC.ITS 500 ON NIKON .THE BUILD IS BETTER.IT FITS IN YOUR HAND ,AND IT HAS A BUFFER ABOUT 3 TIMES THAT OF CANON.
    CANON IS A TRUE ENTRY LEVEL DSLR.THE D70 IS MORE ON THE PRO SIDE OF THE SPECTRUM,IT REALLY IS.IF IT WOULD SHOOT 8 FPS IT WOULD BE THE CAMERA TO HAVE.I HAVE A ULTRA ii card,a 512 and a 1 gig.best buy has camera for 2 yr interest free.bestbuy.com that is.lenses they have also.they dont stock it in store,its in stock to be shipped next day for 19.00..
    these are solely my opinion only,im not a professional,god bless
    freelance1031@aol.com
    WHY CANT WE ALL ,JUST GET ALONG!!

im sorry, i was talking about the rebel not the d10.i dont know enough about the d10 to comment,disregard last post.
    WHY CANT WE ALL ,JUST GET ALONG!!

softball lenses

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Nut
    Deciding between Canon EOS D10 with EF300 f2.8L IS and Nikon D70 AF-S Nikkor 300 f/2.8. Have a couple of Nikkor lenses so thought I wanted the Nikon, but primarily shoot girls softball (for fun only) and many have said go Canon. Any suggestions? Also, lenses are costly; any suggestions on 200 lens with teleconverter?
    The Nikkor 300 /f2.8 is a fine piece of glass, but quite expensive. I, too, do fun softball shooting, and get good results with a D70 and the less-expensive (but still high quality) Nikkor 300 f/4 lens. A gallery of recent samples here:

D70 Softball

I use both the 10D and 1D MKII with the EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM, professionally, for sports. I would recommend the 300 2.8L IS with the 10D (No bias here, I was a die-hard Nikon shooter before going digital). It produces exceptionally crisp results, even wide open. I have found Canon's telephotos are slightly sharper, after using both manufacturers’ lenses extensively. Plus, the image stabilization is great for low light and hand held telephoto work. My only complaint is the AF speed and the 3fps drive speed on the 10D. It's not ideal for fast action, but then again, most DSLR's (with the exception of the 1D and D2H) are not made specifically for shooting sports.

Thread Information