Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

What's Wrong With My Camera? :(

Hi Everyone,

I have a Canon Digital Rebel XT that I bought about 4 weeks after Canon released it a few years ago. I am *VERY* much an amateur, mainly taking photos on vacations and at family events.

I took this camera on a trip about 2 months after I bought it and I know I had the problem then, so it's been going on essentially since it was new. It is only visible in certain shots -- outdoors on bright sunny days or indoors with backgrounds with a lot of white or light colors. I have taken the same shot with all of my lenses and it's the camera, because it appears no matter which lens I use.

What I'm getting is a faint, hazy gray circle or semi-circle appearing in the shots. It appears in the shot preview and it is there whether I use flash or not.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this...or should I just take it to the camera shop where I bought it and see what they can suggest? (I know I should have done this years ago!)

Thank your for any help you can provide!
    Zippy's Mom

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: What's Wrong With My Camera? :(

Sounds like sensor dust.
    Can you post an example.
    If it is sensor dust you may be able to get it off with a giotto's rocket blower.
    If not, you'll have to clean the sensor or have it done for you. The first is less costly but its rather scary for a beginner.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I don't have a way to link you to an example (and I don't know how to paste one in here.)
    It's more like a ring (not a speck or specks) that covers about 2/3 of the shot.

I've never had the sensor cleaned, though, so whether or not that's the only problem, I will have that done.

Thank you for the help!!

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

2/3 of the shot is one big piece of dust so I'd say its something else.
    Hope someone more knowledgeable than I can help.
    How to post pics.....hit the go advanced button..click the paper clip at top...browse...upload. No more than 800 pxls on a side.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

What's Wrong With My Camera?  :(-camera-problem.jpg

I had to crop this to fit within the size constraints, but maybe you can see it??

Name:  Camera.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  15.6 KB

Maybe this one is easier to see?

Thank you for your help.

Hair

You've got a hair in your camera - probably between the sensor and the lens. Check your manual and you'll find directions for cleaning the sensor. It's important you do it exactly as the manula tells you. You don't want to damage your sensor. But it should be simple to get the hair out.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I've read the instructions but I'm not brave enough -- I think I'm going to take it to the shop where I bought it and let them clean it!

Thank you, both!!

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Sensor cleaning is no sweat. Most of the time all you need is a few good puffs of air. Get yourself a Giottos rocket blower to start. In the camera menu's there is a cleaning mode option. This opens the shutter and flips up the mirror and holds it up so you can clean the sensor (use a fully charged battery when you do this). Now take off the lens. Holding the camera body so the opening is facing downward (so the dust doesn't just settle back onto the sensor), use the Giottos blower and give it several good blasts of air. Exit cleaning mode and you're done!
    Last edited by Canuck935; 10-01-2008 at 09:32 PM.

It *was* a hair! I took it to the shop and they demonstrated how to clean the sensor and did the cleaning for me, and I bought the blower gadget recommended above.

Thank you to everyone who responded.

Hair, dust, and bears oh my. IS there anything that doesn't get onto sensors.

Thread Information