Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

What's best for a beginner?

I'm starting to seriously look into getting an SLR. Right now I use a point and shoot kodak, so I'm sure any model will be a step up. So, question is, what is a good starting point for a beginner photographer?
    I'm considering:
    Canon XT
    Canon XTi
    Canon 30D
    Nikon d40x
    Nikon D80
    Nikon D200
    Pentax K10D
    Sony Alpha A100

I'm hoping to spend about $1000, may go up to $1500. So, for the price's I'm looking at what can/should I get? Should I get a kit to start, with the camera and lens? I've read in many posts that the kit lenses are pretty bad...But I can get a Canon 30D with kit lens for like $1200. Or am I better off going with the Canon XT for $435 and getting a good lens or 2 or 3? ;)
    Or, the Sony Alpha is looking promising too...Opinions? What should I look for in a good lens? I'm totally clueless...
    I have done a lot of reading/looking at reviews, and they all have there pro's and con's, and I cannot narrow it down to one that stands out from the other for me.
    Thanks
    Jamie
    PS, I had a huge post typed up like 3 or 4 times with prices and links to camera's, kits, lenses etc, but I kept getting error pages, and the page kept closing on me! Had a ton of stuff there for comparison.

Re: What's best for a beginner?

my suggestion would be to decide what type of photgraphy you like to do,most of all the camera's you listed will require additional lenses to accomplish different degrees of photography,sony has a variety of substitional lenses from other makers,where as nikons handle all different size nikon lenses no matter what the body style you buy,not familiar with canon,but checking the features on all the camera's would help narrow your search based on what your style of photography is,wether portraits,lanscapes,macro,and night photography. will you need timers and their costs,flash units,and your memory cards,most camera's have maximum memory storage,i believe the nikon d200 is 8 gb,max where as the the d80 or d40 do not have the same max capacity,true to the other brands as well, will you use it for holidays ,thus needing extra memory,do you like the lcd image display to be 2 inch or larger,do you like to have a vast variety of color changes on these camera's some only have three types, research is your biggest asset,not on what other people prefer,it will be one of your biggest investments coming,choose wisely my young padawon.hopes this helps.

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

You'll be fine with any of those camera's. You can try all you want but you aren't going to find a bad camera. I suggest you go to your local camera store(s) and handle as many of these camera's as possible. Take a few minutes to use them, play with their menu's, etc. The camera you want is the one that feels/works the best for you.

Also, I am a believer in Lenses > Camera. This means it's better to have good lenses and a cheap camera body than to have an expensive camera with a cheap lens. You can find plenty of lens reviews on this site, also popphoto.com, and many others.

Thanks! Photography wise, right now it's mostly children...my son and nephews being my main targets. I've been to bestbuy and have checked out the canon xti and the nikon d40, d40x and and don't really have any preferences on any of them. I just have absolutely no idea where to start.
    Is there any real major advantage to the extra 2MP between the XT and XTi? Like I said, I use a point and shoot Kodak right now, 7 or 8MP...forget which, and my prints turn out good...shoot my old prints from my old kodak 3MP look ok. So I'm thinking that prints from an 8MP SLR will look even better then my 7 or 8MP P&S, right? So, so far I think I'm leaning toward the Canon XT and getting like 2 or 3 good lenses for it or maybe the Sony Alpha.............who ever would have thought buying a camera would be so difficult!
    Jamie

Newbie with a passion

Feel them. Whatever feels right.

As far as prices go, I just spent $1,000 on a New XTi body, used Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 lens, and CF card, and filter. I plan on buying a bag too so that's another 50-100 bones right there.
    -Ericson
    -Canon 400D

Is there any real major advantage to the extra 2MP between the XT and XTi? Like I said, I use a point and shoot Kodak right now, 7 or 8MP...forget which, and my prints turn out good.
    2Mpix is not really major if you're not going to print beyond A4/8x10") size though the image quality of 6-8Mpix on a DSLR sensor vs. 6-8Mpix on a compact sensor is like night and day image quality wise.

shoot my old prints from my old kodak 3MP look ok. So I'm thinking that prints from an 8MP SLR will look even better then my 7 or 8MP P&S, right?
    Yes they will even small prints will have more clarity.

So, so far I think I'm leaning toward the Canon XT and getting like 2 or 3 good lenses for it.
    The advice I'd always give beginners is to only buy one good lens to start with. Then use this lens to the max until you establish what your style of shooting is. That will determine what lenses you need. A good starting lens is something like a 24-70mm range which makes for a good walkabout lens that covers most occasions. Always best putting money into the lenses on your first camera rather than the body. You'll be keeping the lenses even if you change your camera body. The higher the body's sensor resolution the better the lens your need to exploit this.
    DEviaNT Photographer

'Tough' meant it was an uncompromising image, something that came from your gut, out of instinct, raw, of the moment, something that couldn’t be described in any other way. So it was tough. Tough to like, tough to see, tough to make, tough to understand. The tougher they were the more beautiful they became.
    ~ Joel Meyerowitz

Newbie with a passion

Sony Alpha A-100 is probably best value.
    -Ericson
    -Canon 400D

Quote Originally Posted by DEvianT
    the image quality of 6-8Mpix on a DSLR sensor vs. 6-8Mpix on a compact sensor is like night and day image quality wise.
    I believe this is a bit of an exaggeration. I have been very happy with the 8 X 10 prints I have had made from my 6 mp P & S. I've seen 8 X 10's from an expensive Canon DSLR and can't say I was anymore impressed with those. I'm not saying that the larger sensor in the DSLR's doesn't make any difference, but comparing them to night and day is a bit rediculous. I am a member of another forum where many of the photographers can upload photos to their member gallery that eventually gets accessed thru search engines. Outsiders find the galleries and can purchase photos from the members. The member that has sold more photos than any other member, shoots with an Olympus P & S. He has plenty of positive buyer comments. This forum has galleries by many members using high priced DSLR's.

I'm just saying, don't stretch the facts. Modern advanced P & S cameras are capable of high quality photos these days. DEvianT, have you ever used an advanced P & S?
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Ohiomom,

The 30D and the D200 are both probably a little overkill for what you want to do. But do go to Best Buy and a couple of local camera shops. Talk to the sales people and feel the camera in your hands. Take a couple of test pictures with each that you're looking at. How it feels in your hands is going to trump any technical merits of the camera because it won't matter how many megapixels it has if it isn't comfortable in your hands.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Thanks everyone for your replies. So far, I think I'm leaning toward the Canon Rebel XT. I'm trying to keep within a budget of like $1000 for everything. So, I'm really thinking going with the XT Body for like $480 and using the rest on some good lenses and maybe buying a new good lens every few months. Then in a year or so...let the 40D come down in price a bit and get that! That way, I'll have some experience with a DSLR and I'll have lenses already to go!

Thread Information