Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Optic of a SLR-Camera in front of a Sony DSR?

Hello,

I have often heard about 35mm-Adapters and I know they are all very cost-intensive, even if you just want to rent one of them for one day.

So I plan to get a cheap Objective of a SLR-Camera, to put it in front of a video camera like the Sony DSR, to achieve the same effect that a 35mm-Adapter serves.

Unfortunately I have not much experience in optics and it is hard to find information in the internet. I even don't know if it is generally possible to create the "film effect" with the special debth of field by using a simple SLR-Objective, and furthermore I have no idea, if I might be able to raise the money for such a project.

I hope one of you can give me some advice what I can do now. If this thread was too unintelligible for you, just ask me.

Best regards, Uli

What 35mm-adapter effect?

Quote Originally Posted by CrunchyCracker
    Hello,

I have often heard about 35mm-Adapters and I know they are all very cost-intensive, even if you just want to rent one of them for one day.

So I plan to get a cheap Objective of a SLR-Camera, to put it in front of a video camera like the Sony DSR, to achieve the same effect that a 35mm-Adapter serves.

Unfortunately I have not much experience in optics and it is hard to find information in the internet. I even don't know if it is generally possible to create the "film effect" with the special debth of field by using a simple SLR-Objective, and furthermore I have no idea, if I might be able to raise the money for such a project.

I hope one of you can give me some advice what I can do now. If this thread was too unintelligible for you, just ask me.

Best regards, Uli
    A lens is just a lens. There is no "35mm-adapter effect", no "film effect", so "special depth of field by using a simple SLR-objective". If you put a 50mm in front of a Sony video camera it will produce exactly the same image as a Sony camera lens at 50mm.

I guess that the sensor in the Sony video camera is much smaller than the 24x36mm sensor in a DSLR so the image you see in the viewfinder won't be the same - you will have cropped out the edges of the image so it will be like looking through a telescope.

If you want the video image to look the same as that from a 24x36mm DSLR then you would have to use a video camera with a 24x36mm sensor and for the time being there is only the 5DMk2
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Thread Information