• 10-13-2008, 07:16 AM
    CrunchyCracker
    Optic of a SLR-Camera in front of a Sony DSR?
    Hello,

I have often heard about 35mm-Adapters and I know they are all very cost-intensive, even if you just want to rent one of them for one day.

So I plan to get a cheap Objective of a SLR-Camera, to put it in front of a video camera like the Sony DSR, to achieve the same effect that a 35mm-Adapter serves.

Unfortunately I have not much experience in optics and it is hard to find information in the internet. I even don't know if it is generally possible to create the "film effect" with the special debth of field by using a simple SLR-Objective, and furthermore I have no idea, if I might be able to raise the money for such a project.

I hope one of you can give me some advice what I can do now. If this thread was too unintelligible for you, just ask me. :cool:

Best regards, Uli
  • 10-13-2008, 11:36 AM
    Franglais
    What 35mm-adapter effect?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CrunchyCracker
    Hello,

I have often heard about 35mm-Adapters and I know they are all very cost-intensive, even if you just want to rent one of them for one day.

So I plan to get a cheap Objective of a SLR-Camera, to put it in front of a video camera like the Sony DSR, to achieve the same effect that a 35mm-Adapter serves.

Unfortunately I have not much experience in optics and it is hard to find information in the internet. I even don't know if it is generally possible to create the "film effect" with the special debth of field by using a simple SLR-Objective, and furthermore I have no idea, if I might be able to raise the money for such a project.

I hope one of you can give me some advice what I can do now. If this thread was too unintelligible for you, just ask me. :cool:

Best regards, Uli

A lens is just a lens. There is no "35mm-adapter effect", no "film effect", so "special depth of field by using a simple SLR-objective". If you put a 50mm in front of a Sony video camera it will produce exactly the same image as a Sony camera lens at 50mm.

I guess that the sensor in the Sony video camera is much smaller than the 24x36mm sensor in a DSLR so the image you see in the viewfinder won't be the same - you will have cropped out the edges of the image so it will be like looking through a telescope.

If you want the video image to look the same as that from a 24x36mm DSLR then you would have to use a video camera with a 24x36mm sensor and for the time being there is only the 5DMk2