Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

What lens(es) to go with 450d? Help, im a layman!

Hi all

im sure you get asked this sort of thing all the time but i am hoping one or 2 of you will help me out. I am very much the amateur who wants to buy a new toy to be used just a few times a year - hence the 450d not 40d. I would like to buy (ideally 1 but i think its going to have to be 2) lenses but havent got a clue which. here are some pointers as to what i will be doing/would like the camera to do -

1) high powered zoom (ideally 300mm) as will be taking camera on wildlife safari
    2) some wide-angled lens close up work
    3) some high-speed motor-racing stuff
    4) i think i need optical stabilisation in the lenses (having tried them with and without)
    5) most shots will be taken in good light

my budget is around £300-400 for the zoom lens and a bit less for the other - is that reasonable?

could also do with some advice on which memory cards to get too.

any advice appreciated.

thanks
    Jon
    :thumbsup:

Re: What lens(es) to go with 450d? Help, im a layman!

For most people, I would recommend the 450D over the 40D. There are only a few things the 40D has that make it better. And most people won't really benefit from them. I have both and the ony reason I have a 40D is because sometimes I absolutely need the faster frame rate.

I think your budget is reasonable. I think the kit lens that comes with the 450D is pretty good. I recommend using it until you decide it's a problem. That way you can use more money for the long lens. And your money will count more there. I would also encourage you to consider buying a 70-200mm lens, instead of a 300mm. The Canon 70-200mm L lenses are really, really good - about as good as it gets. Affordable 300mm lenses are usually not so great. You will never regret buying the 70-200 f/4L IS, though. And you can always add a teleconverter later if you decide you really need the reach. Even with a teleconverter, the image quality will likely be better than most 70-300mm zooms.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

MB1

I own both the Canon 75-300 tele and the 70-200 f4 IS that John mentions.

The 70-200 is sweet! The 75-300 makes a fine door stop.
    No, I DON'T need that.

Canon 70-200mm L Lenses

Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    I own both the Canon 75-300 tele and the 70-200 f4 IS that John mentions.

The 70-200 is sweet! The 75-300 makes a fine door stop.
    Yeah, I consider the Canon 70-200mm L lenses a required purchase for serious Canon photographers. If you're an aspiring pro sports photographer, the 70-200 L lens is an investment in your future. They also make excellent landscape and portrait lenses. Lots of people want that 300mm reach. But it's not worth it unless you can pay some serious money. I think the minimum worthwhile buy-in is the Canon 300mm f/4L. I have that lens but rarely use it. I prefer the 70-200 f/2.8L with the 1.4x converter for most purposes.
    Photo-John

thanks all, that does it for me, the 70-200 it is. anyone know any good/cheapo websites in the USA where i can get it from (brother in the usa so he can bring it back for me without attracting import duty etc). anyone bought off any good ebay sellers or from hong kong?

Excellent! You will not regret buying that lens.

You had best check our Dealer Feedback forum. Shopping by price is not advised when it comes to cameras. Same goes for eBay, if you ask me. I will personally recommend B&H and Adorama, which are both in New York City. I also like Canoga Camera, in Southern California. All three dealers have solid, fair prices and are absolutely trustworthy. I've spent thousands at each of those dealers.
    Photo-John

Thread Information