Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: 2 Choices

2 Choices

Ok I pretty much boiled it down to either the Nikon D80 or the Sony A700. Both cameras feel great. My problem is choosing. I will be doing photography as an extreme hobby. I will most likely play around with all the functions to create different looks. I will deffinatelty not just be shooting around. Can anyone help me out of which might be the better choice?

Chicagoland, IL, USA (transplanted canadian)

Re: 2 Choices

Quote Originally Posted by Nero45
    Ok I pretty much boiled it down to either the Nikon D80 or the Sony A700. Both cameras feel great. My problem is choosing. I will be doing photography as an extreme hobby. I will most likely play around with all the functions to create different looks. I will deffinatelty not just be shooting around. Can anyone help me out of which might be the better choice?
    Since you have pretty much narrowed it down to the two that you are considering based on the features, I would strongly consider the "feel" and "functionality" of each of them.

Which one fits your hands best? Which one has the controls that are most intuitive for you? These are some of the often overlooked, yet most important things. A camera with all the functions, but where the controls don't fit your hands, is not a good fit for you, regardless if it is a good camera or not.

My g/f daughter had her graduation party last night, and she has a small point and shoot. It works great for her, but ever time I went to use it, my hand always caught the flash setting button, and turned it off (or on) and even after I fixed it, even being conscious of it, I would still hit that damn button just by holding the camera. So, for me, that camera is not a good choice (in fact, if I owned it, I would have returned or sold it, or even given it away) For her, with her small hands it is absolutely perfect fit.

Specs are one thing, and can be exciting and helpful when narrowing down choices, but until you hold it in your hand, and see how it works with *you*, no one can really say if it's a good choice or not.

Just some other things to think about.
    Cheers,
    Greg

---
    Canon Digital Rebel XTi
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 XR Di II VC (new favorite)
    EF-S IS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6; EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III; EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    Sony CyberShot DSC-V1

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I may be prejudice but since both feel good to you I'd go with the D80, which I have.
    My reasoning is that Nikon has a bigger 'system' which is what you are buying into.
    More lenses both Nikon and second party and other stuff.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

The available glass is the deal clincher for Nikon IMHO. Added bonus is when you want to trade up they will give you something for the D-80 or you will be able to sell it off quickly.
    Jim

Don't sweat the small stuff

Nikon user but I don't hate you if you aren't one.

Hmm, I guess I really only liked the Sony because it was something that not everyone else had or bought into. Both of these cameras feel extremely well in my hands but now that I look at it the D80 is cheaper but yet better than the A700. I think I am going to get the D80 once I get the money which should be somewhere around June/July.

Thread Information