Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

What kind of DSLR body can fit my lens?

I have a two lenses , the one is Broadway MC 75-200mm , 49mm ( I think it is lens’s diameter) , another is a 35mm-70mm,49mm. I have used them for many years and
    sill want to keep them. Right now I am concerning about the DSLR, but I hope I can buy
    a chaep DSLR body ( not include lens) so I can use these two lenses and don't need to put too much money at beginning. but I don’t know want kind of body can fit my lens.
    Someone told me each kind of lens fit a brand DSLR body ( like Nikon, Sony Canon…….) dependent on what kind of lens’s joint ( or call connector) I have. but I
    have no idea about lens’s joint , If my lens is “MC “ kind of joint?, I don’t know if someone can tell me about that information.

Thanks!
    Last edited by efang622; 08-30-2007 at 01:06 PM.

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Re: What kind of DSLR body can fit my lens?

Hmm.. I've never heard of that brand of lens. From what you are saying it sounds like they are old manual focus lenses, in which case it will not work on any DSLR (without adapters). What kind of camera were you using those lenses on before?

Yes, you are right, my camera is an old brand ( not good brand, this a Chinese brand ). how about adapter?
    My question is ,
    1) I need to find a DSLR body I like.
    2) I need to find an adapter which can fit that body and my lens both.
    I don't know how I can start and if is it worth to do that.
    If I buy a DSLR and one or two new lenses , I think soon or later I will have no chance to use these two old lenses because I believe DC will
    replace film camera soon.

Thanks!

Are these the Russian built lenses? If so you can get adaptors for them to fit most popular bodies and lens mounts. The MC leads me to believe they are the Russian lenses. From what I have seen and heard these lenses are either very good or very bad, but I think it may have to do with the user in some cases.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

The problem with using adapters for these lenses on newer bodies is you not only lose the auto focus capabilities of the camera, but you also lose out on the metering functionality of the camera.

I think you will be better off (by leaps and bounds) buying a new modern lens to go with whichever DSLR you choose.

Honestly, you are trying to fit the old Model T tires you have in the back of the garage on your new Mustang. My suggestion is to place those lenses back in the closet and move on. There is no adapter or anything else that will allow you to use them. There is no way to tell what the mount system is and if you did mount them on a DSLR you would severely limit its capabilities. Besides lens technology has advanced so far in the past few year that you can buy lens that are many, many times better than what you have for probably fewer real dollars than you originally spent on those old lenses.

Go out and find yourself a Nikon D40 and lens package (or the Canon equivalent). You will never be sorry you did and you will never look back at what you have in the closet.

The other option is to buy one of the new , high end “Point and Shoot” cameras like the Canon Powershot SS IS, the Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd, the Olympus SP-550 UZ or similar. These high end P & S cameras will give you essentially the same features as the DSLR at lower price and without some of the short comings. If you’re shooting for friends, family and personal pleasure this may be the way to go.

I suggest B&H Photo or Adorama as reputable dealers with very good prices. They have easy to use websites and, as I said, probably the best reputations in the industry.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the new digital when you get it.

I am using two digital cameras now, the one is Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 and another is Nikon Coolpix 5000. I am still not familiar with them and try to these " non-DSLR machine" before I buy DSLR or “Point and Shoot” cameras. thanks for getting me
    these suggestions.

Thanks again!

Iron Horse

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpseat
    Honestly, you are trying to fit the old Model T tires you have in the back of the garage on your new Mustang. My suggestion is to place those lenses back in the closet and move on. There is no adapter or anything else that will allow you to use them. There is no way to tell what the mount system is and if you did mount them on a DSLR you would severely limit its capabilities. Besides lens technology has advanced so far in the past few year that you can buy lens that are many, many times better than what you have for probably fewer real dollars than you originally spent on those old lenses.

Go out and find yourself a Nikon D40 and lens package (or the Canon equivalent). You will never be sorry you did and you will never look back at what you have in the closet.

The other option is to buy one of the new , high end “Point and Shoot” cameras like the Canon Powershot SS IS, the Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd, the Olympus SP-550 UZ or similar. These high end P & S cameras will give you essentially the same features as the DSLR at lower price and without some of the short comings. If you’re shooting for friends, family and personal pleasure this may be the way to go.

I suggest B&H Photo or Adorama as reputable dealers with very good prices. They have easy to use websites and, as I said, probably the best reputations in the industry.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the new digital when you get it.
    excellent advice, but I'd suggest the canon equivalent first and *then* maybe the Nikon if you absolutely have to. ;) (just kidding, but the fact that the d40/d40x doesn't work with a whole pile of lenses that even Nikon makes just p!sses me off)

honestly, even the cheapest newer digi lenses will outperform the no-name lenses that you have, and the digital cameras will show each and every shortcoming of older lenses, far far better than film. if you can't afford it now, just wait till you've saved up more, or get the cheapest (sigh, the d40) you can afford and the kit lens.

Canon XTi
    Tamron 17-50mm
    Nifty Fifty 1.8

Well it’s not that the Nikons, under the D200, don’t function with “a whole pile of lenses”, they just will not use the auto exposure modes with manual lenses. They can’t use the onboard light meter. However, digital photograph has given us a whole new dimension to exposure metering with the histogram. Given that digital shots are free using the histogram to determine exposure is easier than a hand held light meter. If someone doesn’t want to shoot manually, don’t use manual lenses.

Oh, you Canon fanatics. You’re as bad as … us Nikon fanatics.

Iron Horse

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpseat
    Well it’s not that the Nikons, under the D200, don’t function with “a whole pile of lenses”, they just will not use the auto exposure modes with manual lenses. They can’t use the onboard light meter. However, digital photograph has given us a whole new dimension to exposure metering with the histogram. Given that digital shots are free using the histogram to determine exposure is easier than a hand held light meter. If someone doesn’t want to shoot manually, don’t use manual lenses.

Oh, you Canon fanatics. You’re as bad as … us Nikon fanatics.
    ha, was referring to the point that the lowest (current) Nikon that will focus with any of the primes, any of their non AF-S lenses, any Tamron, and any non-HSM Sigma is their D80. I love the cheap fast primes, have the 50mm 1.8 and the Tamron 17-50, and am getting the 85mm 1.8. None of these (or in the case of the Canon lenses their Nikon equivalents) would work on the D40/D40x. :idea:

the D40/D40x are great cameras, but with one gigantic flaw.
    Canon XTi
    Tamron 17-50mm
    Nifty Fifty 1.8

Dante, you are absolutely right. I am affraid that I have heard so many bogus complaints about MF lenses that I misses his point. Thanks.

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Thankfully third parties are rapidly beginning to take up slack on mid-priced lenses, with Sigma updating I think 3 or 4 of their popular and high quality zooms to HSM, but Nikon has to update their primes soon enough.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Thread Information