Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Wink Can I use my film lenses with digital?

I have a Canon Rebel 2000 with a couple of Sigma lenses and a Tamron. They're all autofocus and seem to work quite well with my Rebel. This may be a stupid question, but should I get a digital SLR (I'm considering a 20D), will all of my lenses work with the 20D?

Thanks.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Can I use my film lenses with digital?

Welcome to the Fourm! All of the lenses that you have for your film Rebel, will work with the 20D.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Welcome to the Fourm! All of the lenses that you have for your film Rebel, will work with the 20D.
    I appreciate your quick response.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

One more thing I should mention... If you get the 20D with the EF-S kit lens, not sure what the focal length is off the top of my head (17-50mm or something like that), it will not work on the film rebels
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    One more thing I should mention... If you get the 20D with the EF-S kit lens, not sure what the focal length is off the top of my head (17-50mm or something like that), it will not work on the film rebels
    So my EF's will work with film and digital, but the EF-S's will only work with digital?

A word of caution

Quote Originally Posted by siberia1997
    I have a Canon Rebel 2000 with a couple of Sigma lenses and a Tamron. They're all autofocus and seem to work quite well with my Rebel. This may be a stupid question, but should I get a digital SLR (I'm considering a 20D), will all of my lenses work with the 20D?

Thanks.
    Yes Rebel 2000 "film" lenses will fit on the 20D and yes they will produce images - but the images might not be worthy of the camera. Digital cameras require top quality lenses, particularly the 20D with its many small sensors - hence the appearance of lenses like the EF-S series, optimised for digital.

In film each "pixel" is made up of three colour-sensitive layers, piled one on top of another - the target is fairly large. In digital each pixel is made up from three colour-sensitive sensors arranged side-by-side. If the lens doesn't have adequate definition or has defaults like chromatic abberation then you won't get the best out of the sensor.

Charles

Thread Information