Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Focus Problem - Nikon D70

Having problems with focusing with my D70. At my age (63) I need to use the auto-focus. I took a group photo of several people, one behind the other in a tight group. The focus on the first person's face was off just a hair, but the focus on the last person was blurred noticeably. Do I have my focus options set wrong? Did I need to focus on the "middle person" instead of the "front person"? Should I have used a tripod? Is camera shake a big part of my problem? I was expecting the focus to be "razor-sharp", but it is not working out that way. Comments? Suggestions?

You mean they were lined up away from you (the camera)? If you can post the shot that might help, but if this is the case it's probably not a focus problem. However, this doesn't explain why the first person isn't quite in focus. What shutter speed did you use, could camera shake, or the person moving a little be a possibility?

I think it's a depth of field problem, trying to get everyone in focus over that distance. Use a smaller aperture (higher "f" number) for more depth of field. This will result in a slower shutter speed, so you might need a tripod. But since your subject is people, they might move enough that they will blur a little. Since it's a DSLR, try boosting the ISO up so you can use a smaller aperture and still keep your shutter speed at least at 1/30. A tripod will help here, but any slower shutter speed and you'll have the other blur problem. Hope I've got this right from your description.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in OKC
    Having problems with focusing with my D70. At my age (63) I need to use the auto-focus. I took a group photo of several people, one behind the other in a tight group. The focus on the first person's face was off just a hair, but the focus on the last person was blurred noticeably. Do I have my focus options set wrong? Did I need to focus on the "middle person" instead of the "front person"? Should I have used a tripod? Is camera shake a big part of my problem? I was expecting the focus to be "razor-sharp", but it is not working out that way. Comments? Suggestions?
    The zone of acceptable focus is about 1/3 in front of and 2/3 behind the the point of sharpest focus.
    Also in general, except for in special copy lenses, the plane of focus is not actually a plane but a section of a sphere - sorta like a rectangle cut out of a basketball.

Thread Information