Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

I really hate to ask...

BUT

I am wondering what you think about the KM situation. I own a KM SLR, and bought some "legendary" glass for it at a great price. Now, there is the whole thing with KM leaving the business. I understand Sony will service KM, along with their new models, and that Sony will carry the Maxxum lens mount. I also believe that Sony made the 5d/7d sensor.

So here is my question, and I would love to know your honest opinion. Should I purchase a 5/d (and hope sony makes a good DSLR, with the proper lens mount)), or take a loss (and hopefully trade my current gear, and a few hundred) for a Canon 350, or a Nikon D50? I may be able to swing the next step up on either brand. One main issue is going to be the cost of glass for either brand. I know both produce good quality images, so the only other thing left is ease of use. I have handled all 3 cameras, and the d70, d20 and like the feel of all of them. I know you all get tired of this kind of question, but I really would appreciate the help.

Summary:
    Nikon vs Canon glass?
    Nikon vs Canon ease of use?
    Take a chance with Sony, KM?

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Re: I really hate to ask...

Quote Originally Posted by payn817
    BUT

I am wondering what you think about the KM situation. I own a KM SLR, and bought some "legendary" glass for it at a great price. Now, there is the whole thing with KM leaving the business. I understand Sony will service KM, along with their new models, and that Sony will carry the Maxxum lens mount. I also believe that Sony made the 5d/7d sensor.

So here is my question, and I would love to know your honest opinion. Should I purchase a 5/d (and hope sony makes a good DSLR, with the proper lens mount)), or take a loss (and hopefully trade my current gear, and a few hundred) for a Canon 350, or a Nikon D50? I may be able to swing the next step up on either brand. One main issue is going to be the cost of glass for either brand. I know both produce good quality images, so the only other thing left is ease of use. I have handled all 3 cameras, and the d70, d20 and like the feel of all of them. I know you all get tired of this kind of question, but I really would appreciate the help.

Summary:
    Nikon vs Canon glass?
    Nikon vs Canon ease of use?
    Take a chance with Sony, KM?
    As a shooter, you have to ask "Do I feel lucky." The Sony takeover may be the best thing in the world or the worst. I hope Sony succeeds but it won't be on my dollar, not at first. Sony has the technology, but does it have the photographic background to understand serious glass and bodies? Who knows.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Quote Originally Posted by payn817
    I own a KM SLR, and bought some "legendary" glass for it at a great price.
    You've already got a system, and sounds like a good one at that. I'd wait a bit and see what happens before I gave away what I had to spend a lot of cash buying basically the same thing from another manufacturer. If you're a full-time pro then there might be very good reasons for going to one of the others, but if you're not then I'd wait it out.

Put it this way - if you tried to sell your stuff on ebay, then you're not going to get anything out of it. As an outsider, I wouldn't buy into that system right now, and probably nobody else who has heard this news will either. This news doesn't make your equipment any worse at doing it's job, however.

Thanks for your responses. I am pretty much sold on Nikon, if it comes to a Nikon vs Canon thing. However, if I do decide to go with the 5D, I suppose it would get me through a year or so, and then if necessary, make the changes. I already have all the glass I need for the 5D, so it makes more sense to me to try that for now, and then go with the Nikon if Sony doesn't come through. So, really instead of spending about $1500 to switch, it will only be about $700, and crossed fingers.

Most DSLR users here upgrade every year or two, it seems anyway.

But the Konica Minolta 7D

I've been thinking about this for a day now. At first it seemed best to abandon ship. But I do think the Konica Minolta SLRs are nice. I really, really like the built-in image stabilization. Since you already have lenses and digital SLRs are pretty reliable, I'd go ahead and invest in the camera. I'd encourage you to look for a used 7D. Michael makes a good point about Sony taking over. It may be a good thing. They've been flirting with the high end of digital for a while now. This may be their way in. And usually, when they make up their mind to do something, they do it right.

Don't worry about upgrading. Every two years was the truth a couple years ago. I think we're past that now, though. I've actually been using the same digital SLR for about 4 years now. Sure, the new cameras make us want and think we need to upgrade. But we don't really have to buy into the hype. The new stuff may be better. But that doesn't mean that the camera you already have doesn't more than meet your needs.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Just keep in mind that Sony's customer service, repairs and replacements, is some of the absolute worst in the electronics industry.

This is the single biggest reason that I am afraid of anything Sony makes. I have had three bad experiences with their products, but those were pailed by the combined NINE MONTHS of arguing that went on o get the products fixed. Thwe worst was a brand new LCD that just wen on the fritz two weeks into its life. It was a business monitor, so our company prepaid to have the express replacement sent. Four months later, under threat of getting our lawyer and the credit company on them, they finally sent us a replacement. The other times were with two digital cameras, one mine, one a friend's. Nothing but freaking headaches.

If you are willing to count on your gear never breaking, then fine, but if it does, may whatever deity you worship help you.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

LOL! Thanks Sebastian, and PJ. I have a local camera shop, and hope he works on DSLR as well as he works on everything else. I am gonna take the chance. PJ, I am glad you took the time to answer, and with you, another view, and Michael's suggestion, I am going to wait it out. The 7D won't be a problem to swing. I have a 28mm, a 28-100mm, and a 70-210mm, that has been a good range for me and never left me wanting more. So, I could just get the body only for about the same price as the 5D kit I was planning on getting. If Uncle Sam is good, I'll get the kit anyway. I could add another lens on the wide end (a used one) probably cheap. Then if all goes well, and Sony comes through, possibly something between the 300-500 on the tele end.

Thanks alot ALL of you, this has been a very tough decision for me.

Hi:

I would keep the KM. Ease of use and design makes it a very useable camera and the anti-shake on the camera rather than the lens is a plus as well.

As to Canon or Nikon. That is an easy choice. I would go with Canon because of overall better noise handling at high ISO readings.

Ronnoco

Thread Information