Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>
    Budding Beginner

Wait a few more months on new Rebel?

Okay, well I don't know if any of you have seen my post or not on the general forum in regards to the Fuji S7000. I began looking at a p&s at around $500 for my first camera. But then I began to read all the rave reviews of Canons 300D. At first, I was like, "No way. I don't need that much camera. That would just be a waste of money for my needs." But then...I went and began to read more and more reviews and actually looked at sample pictures from not only the rebel but many others. Wow...the image quality of cameras like the Fuji S7000 just don't even come close to comparing to cameras like the 300D.

So what the heck? I've got some room on the credit card. LoL I'm a complete newb, so why not start out with a good camera that I can stick with for a while? So...why not just go ahead and get the Rebel?

BUT...I've read rumors that canon may replace the Rebel by the end of the year? If this is the case, might the price of the Rebel drop by a couple hundred dollars or so? So my question, is should I just hold off till October or November to make my purchase? :/

Unless there's an announced date, I would just get what you want now. There will always be something on the horizon.

If you want the Rebel, I'd get it.
    A good craftsman never blames his tools.

Latest rumours in French press

Reponses Photo magazine this month says expect the next Digital Rebel at about $600 (without lens I guess). Also expect some 8-10Mpix DSLR's to be announced for Photokina in the fall by various manufacturers. And an economical version of the Olympus E1.

The question you should be asking yourself is - do I want to save $200 (or whatever) or do I want to have the thing now?

Charles

Heh, that's kind of depressing. Spend so much on equipment for it to be half price two months later. I swear, after I buy my next setup..I'm never looking at the Ad-section in magazines, B&H's website, going into a camera store, reading reviews on new equipment..nada!

Sorry for the useless post.

Budding Beginner
    Well see I'm kinda thinking like Pose. I recall the last time I went computer shopping, buying the newest and best iBook apple had to offer at the time (14" G3 900) only to log onto their website about two months later to see they were then selling G4s in iBook making mine drop to like $900 (after I originally paid around $1500 only weeks before).

So I really don't want to have that feeling again. I REALLY want a good camera (like the Rebel) now for the summer, but a little chip on my shoulder keeps telling me if in a few more months it'll be down a couple hundred dollars, I could then use that couple hundred dollars on a decent lens or a high capacity storage card, or printer, or whatever else to accomodate the new camera. Of course, I'm sure by then the new Canons will make the current Rebel look like a p&s in comparison, making me only wish I had the NEWEST with more megapixels...but still isn't the current Rebel worlds above today's p&s cameras?

So you say "the next Rebel," but does this mean the next price drop on the current Rebel or is Canon planning on releasing a NEW Rebel at that price range?

Also, Charles, any idea WHEN this might take place?

Nikon d70 Kit

Do you see the Nikon D70 (with lens ) Going down in price as well, to sorta Match the Digital Rebel?

-Peplogic

Just guessing

Quote Originally Posted by r3dline
    Well see I'm kinda thinking like Pose. I recall the last time I went computer shopping, buying the newest and best iBook apple had to offer at the time (14" G3 900) only to log onto their website about two months later to see they were then selling G4s in iBook making mine drop to like $900 (after I originally paid around $1500 only weeks before).

So I really don't want to have that feeling again. I REALLY want a good camera (like the Rebel) now for the summer, but a little chip on my shoulder keeps telling me if in a few more months it'll be down a couple hundred dollars, I could then use that couple hundred dollars on a decent lens or a high capacity storage card, or printer, or whatever else to accomodate the new camera. Of course, I'm sure by then the new Canons will make the current Rebel look like a p&s in comparison, making me only wish I had the NEWEST with more megapixels...but still isn't the current Rebel worlds above today's p&s cameras?

So you say "the next Rebel," but does this mean the next price drop on the current Rebel or is Canon planning on releasing a NEW Rebel at that price range?

Also, Charles, any idea WHEN this might take place?
    The article was talking about what might happen in 2005. The two dates of note between now and then are Photokina (September) and Christmas.

Canon are supposed to be bringing out a "better D300" to compete with the D70 for Photokina. The price of the current D300 might drop then. But they're making 100000 of them a month, so I hardly think that they are in a hurry about this.

Charles

I wouldn't even be considering this question, btw. Get the Rebel and don't look back. Camera bodies come out every few years... but LENSES is what you should be worrying about.

My camera body this year cost me 1400 bucks without lenses. This money will be worthless when I upgrade my body.

My lesnes have costed me 4500 bucks so far this year. I will never respend this money.

My lenses I will have until they break or are stolen... some pro's have 10 year old lenses they use every day.

My body I will replace probalby every 1 or 1.5 years.

Get the Rebel, and if you do, get L lenses if you can. Digital Camera bodies are horrible investments... lenses are not.
    A good craftsman never blames his tools.

Liz

Unhappy Then, there's always next year........

Greetings.....
    I thought I'd chime in with my humble opinion from my own personal experience. Being somewhat compulsive about photography equipment, I'm always looking for the next lowest price for the best camera. However, when the Rebel 300D came out at $900 I decided that I couldn't stand being compulsive anymore. So I was the first one to place an order for it at B&H. And I have NEVER regretted it. I love this camera. Every time I use it, I get the same thrill that I did the first time I took it out of the box.

When the price drops significantly (it's already about $800), it will be because there is another "better" camera and something else to compare it with. I wouldn't wait - just think of all the time you've lost not using this wonderful camera. Just my opinion. To me, it was worth paying $900 - it will still be worth $900 to me, even when the price drops to $700 or less. I don't regret it.

Liz

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Two Points

Just two simple points...

As already stated, it's the lenses that are the investment, not the body.

Are you buying a camera to use for photography or as an investment? If a new model comes out, will the Rebel still work the same way (yes!)? Does the Rebel do everything you need it to as is? If yes, buy it. If no, wait for something new.

Don't step onto the high tech update treadmill !!!!!
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Budding Beginner
    Thanks all for the advice. However, I think some are misunderstanding. If I were to decide to wait till fall or x-mas, it would not be waiting for a better model, but rather for the price on the current rebel to drop a few hundred so that I could use that saved money on more accessories (like a decent lens), as I am on somewhat of a budget.

I think I'm quite comfortable that the current rebel is all I need for now, and probably a while. I think it's still worlds above any of todays point-&-shooters. I just wish it was a LITTLE closer to my budget so that I didn't have to go over my original planned $500 by TOO much ($500 was originally before I knew there was something so much better than a $500 p&s, and I didn't realize how much it was going to take for such image quality).

Thread Information