Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Question Viewfinder Eyepiece Question

First....Happy New Year to all.

When using the Bulb exposure or the remote shutter release, is it a good idea to cover the viewfinder eyepiece on a DSLR? In the pre-digital era, I remember reading that failure to do so will allow additional light to expose the film. Is this relevant with a DSLR?

My camera manual (Canon EOS 400D) does not mention this. And, as far as I know, an eyepiece cover isn't even available from Canon.

Thank you.

Re: Viewfinder Eyepiece Question

Mine was on the Canon strap that came with the camera see picture.

Roger R.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Viewfinder Eyepiece Question-dscn1031.jpg  
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

If your manual doesn't mention it I am sure it would be ok not to cover it. I take long exposures all of the time with my Olympus E3 and never have problems. But when in Live View the E3 has a built in cover and you just close it. But I forget half of the time and still haven't had any issues.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I think you are supposed to use them but, of course, they are also the first thing you lose 'cuz they're so small.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

With a certain amount of embarrassment, I just figured out the same thing. I should have listened to my parents & stayed in school.

Thread Information