Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Very new and welcome advice on setting up

Firstly, thank-you for the opportunity to post on this site. I have read as much as time allows and already have learned from you all.

As a busy Mom to 4 small children I am looking for a hobby for myself (I have always had an interest in photography) as well as a way to possibly earn income down the road. I have so many questions!
    1) What camera is appropriate for learning and for use possibly for income? My wish would be to one day be priviledged to take pictures for families, especially infants and children in client's homes/location. The Canon Rebel seems to be the camera of choice for me thus far???
    2) I am unable to attend a full time college course. Are courses necessary? Would part time 3 hour classes at the closest Henrys help? Is it crazy to think I can self teach through years of trial and error?
    3) What would be the basic kit I should purchase? Camera, lenses, lighting, on and on... I find all the research I have tried to do I am still left with a big ? Money at the moment is a huge factor. We are willing and happy to invest as much as we can, but I want those purchases to be valid and worthwhile. What would you suggest as a basic started kit that would suit for now and in the future? From what I understand you purchase the basic camera and then there is a whole lot more to buy. :-)
    4) Which computer editing program is best to invest in... that is something I have not researched at all as of yet. Is a separate computer beneficial... a lap top?

Thank-you to all that lend some advice. I am so thrilled I found this site so between diaper changes and children's lessons I will reading with interest.

Re: Very new and welcome advice on setting up

well i have a canon rebel xt and its very affordable and the possibilitys never end.
    i bought the camera,18-55mm lems in the box for 539$ brand new from a local store.

some programs you could use is
    adobe lightroom
    adobe photoshop
    Canon EOS 30D | EF 70-200mm f/4L | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 10-20mm f/4 EX | Strobist gear galore

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

You say money is a huge factor but that gives us little clue. One person might say that means 500 tops and another would say it means 5,000 tops.
    If you are going into business eventually, I would suggest getting the best beginner dslr you can but to be more concerned with the lenses.
    Remember that whichever you go with; canon, nikon, sony, pentax, etc., you're buying into a system
    As for learning, you might check local community college courses. One here has an off campus class regularly and I've just found they have an online course.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

you def don't need classes to learn. ive never taken a class, but have read books and articles etc and think i pretty much know the basics, i feel that classes teach more composition and rules of photography than you actually need to start taking pictures.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

im just learning with the internet, and practicing. Im far from perfect but i try
    Canon EOS 30D | EF 70-200mm f/4L | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 10-20mm f/4 EX | Strobist gear galore

Thank-you all for your informative responses. I am leaning towards the Canon EOS Rebel XTi (799- here in Canada). The Photoshop program blew me away.... about 1000- dollars Canadian!!! I wonder if I should shop South? Would you think that I should be looking to buy additional lenses right off... is it better to buy the camera body and lenses separate? I am most interested in doing portraits and also close ups of baby's little feet and hands. Would this require a special lense. Also children move so fast, is the camera I am considering ~ Canon Rebel XTi ~ suitable? Thank-you once again. I am itching to get to the photography store, but it is a blizzard here!

I would suggest buying body and lens separate. The 18-55 that is canon's usual kit lens doesn't get high reviews.
    You might think about the body and a 50mm f/1.8 or f/1.4 Very sharp prime lens with low light capabilities.
    See the 50mm war or walkabout thread in viewfinder and/or look up Alison's gallery and posts.
    Keep Shooting!

Frog ~ Thank-you for that, I have read that comment RE kit lense a few times.

Ok, read most of the night last night after the kids were all tucked in. The information on the internet is amazing and I do believe I am absorbing some good thoughts and points.

I have decided to go with the Canon Rebel. Hopefully will be able to purchase this weekend! Very excited!!! And thankfully the store I was hoping to purchase from has a March Break Sale. Do you think I would be smart to go with what they are offering OR purchase the camera body and lenses separately. And and all advise is so much appreciated. This is what they are offering:

Canon Rebel XTi with a 18-55mm EF-S lens for $749- (50 off regular)
    then they are offering and add on 75-300mm Telephoto zoom for an additional $199- (60 off regular).

Now my MAIN and possibly only focus right now is taking portraits... and really focusing on newborns and children. I have read that a Canon ER 50mm f/1.8 lens is amazing for portraits. I must admit much of the terminology is still lost on me. This is such a big decision... we will be using money that could be going to better places like a savings account, but also wishing to invest for learning/hobby and hopefully income potential down the road.

What else is a must right now.... a camera bag, extra memory card, extra battery, tripod, lighting??? What is the minimum in your opinions to start me off in the learning process.

Thank-you ever so much. Your expertise is invaluable to me.

MB1

I say get the camera and a lens or two and start shooting. Don't spend any more money until you know what you need and don't rush into buying stuff until your are more than sure you need it.

FWIW it portraits are what you think you would like to shoot don't bother with that really long telephoto even though the price is attractive. Get the 50mm 1.8, I believe you will really like the way you can get the backgrounds out of focus with that lens and the size makes it really easy to carry and shoot with.
    No, I DON'T need that.

MB1~ Thank-you for the straight up talk. Makes sense to me. The extra lense, 50mm 1.8 is not that expensive... about 140 maybe??? And from what I am reading/hearing well worth it. Now I just need to wait out this snow storm and get to the shop! Take good care.

I agree with MB1 about the 50mm. Great portrait lens,(see Alison's gallery and threads)
    and even costs less than the 75-300.
    Keep Shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by 40piggies
    MB1~ Thank-you for the straight up talk. Makes sense to me. The extra lense, 50mm 1.8 is not that expensive... about 140 maybe??? And from what I am reading/hearing well worth it. Now I just need to wait out this snow storm and get to the shop! Take good care.

buy some snow shoes hehe just incase of a storm next time you want to go shop!!

MB1

I've got that 75-300 and don't much care for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    I agree with MB1 about the 50mm. Great portrait lens,(see Alison's gallery and threads)
    and even costs less than the 75-300.
    I really didn't need the long end and it was just too dark. At least it didn't cost much.

I have since purchased the 70-200 f4 IS and it is a far more useful lens although it does cost a bucket of cash more.
    No, I DON'T need that.

Thank-you all. I have posts of the same nature all over the boards as I wasn't sure where the best place was. The camera is bought! My dear husband found a great price at Blacks of all places... went with the Rebel XTi, the 50mm, 2G memory card and some cheap filters for protection of the lenses? Will have to save up some more for an extra battery and I am sure all sorts of other things that will soon seem a completel need...lol. And yes rylan I will have to get some snow shoes... that or a sled and dogs so I can load up the 4 kids and get to the store to get the photo gear. :-)

If you bought cheap filters take them off when you are shooting.
    Keep Shooting!

I would look for an older version of PhotoShop on Ebay. Anything PhotoShop 4 or higher will probably do most anything you need.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I too was wondering what these cheap ten dollar filters were all about? I wasn't at the store and hadn't even thought of filters and definately didn't research them. So from what I am reading these are not necessary and maybe I should simply return them. This may sound like a simplton question BUT do you clean the lense (I haven't opened the camera box yet) and if yes what with? Thank-you.

cleaning.....Mostly I use my Rocket Blower and if that doesn't get all the dust I use a brush and resort to cleaning fluid and tissues or my pen.
    Lots of links out there for cleaning and in these forums too.
    If you keep those cheap filters on except when shooting you won't have to clean the lens as much.
    When you do figure out that you do or don't need a uv filter,(there's a debate about that but don't worry about it now), get the best you can afford,B+W, Hoya....make sure they are multi-coated. The one filter you will absolutely need when shooting outside is a circular polarizer or you'll get washed out skies.
    Just don't worry about it right now....shoot and shoot and post some of your results and we'll be able to help more.
    Keep Shooting!

Thread Information