Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Question Uploading files from Canon 300 Rebel

Hi

Just got my Canon 300 Rebel and am very pleased. One problem is that it takes ages when uploading photos via the cable provided when attaching it from the camera to my powerbook or PC. It is alot quicker when I take the card out and put it into a card reader.

Does anyone know why? And if so how can I speed the process up?
    Would it be possible to attach a firewire cable or a firewire reader?
    Or maybe the CF 256mb Lexar card is the problem?

Thanks

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar
    Hey Kwakky,

I felt the same way the first time I downloaded my pictures from my camera, a DRebel also. I couldn't beleive how long it took. The camera package that I bought came with a card reader, so I hooked that up and that is all I use now. I don't know much about the technical aspect of it since I am pretty new to the world of digital photography, but I do know that the card reader that I have, is a lot faster than using the camera. I have been shooting everything as .jpg on the fine setting and it takes between 1 to 1.5 seconds for each picture to download. I think it took about 5 minutes to download my first 30 or so images using the camera. The card reader that I got, came with the camera package and I couldn't even tell you what brand it is. Since it was part of a package, I'm sure it is closer to the bottom of the line as far as readers go and I'm sure there are faster ones out there, but like I said, I don't know much about them so maybe there isn't a huge differance in the performance. I'm using a Kingston 1024MB card that also came with the package, and I'm sure this too is at the bottom of the food chain as far as CF cards go, and this could reflect slower downloads for me as well. Maybe someone can fill us both in on how these things work in relation to one another.

Welcome to the Forum!
    Michael
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

HBT

Usb

The camera itself supports a slower standard, usb 1.1 Most probably, your card reader is using the faster usb 2.0.

BTW, how do you like the camera? I just got one too!
    ~ HT

HBT
    additionally, you could get a firewire reader, but your computer would have to support it. sorry, skipped over that part.

Just to add, even a 1.1 reader will be much faster at transferrig the files to the PC than the camera will be. All cameras are notoriously slow at transferring from the camera itself, I think it has something to do with the manufacturer's desire to optimize writing performance and the readig performance suffers. Just speculation on that part though.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Thanks everyone

I think I will invest in a firewire card reader. Lexar do one for about £18...I found that via kellkoo's website....

Regards

Thread Information