Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Should I just flip a coin?

I'm looking to buy a DLSR within the month. My only problem is I'm Torn between two. My first choice has been the Fuji S3 Pro, and the other is the Nikon D70. I see that lots of people use the D70 and it seems to get great reviews. But being a Fuji fan I'm partial to the S3. the S3 boast the 12mp pics but I know they are really just two types of 6mp put together. Also the S3 is bad for its slow speed. What would your opinoin be on which type of camera to get. and I'm open to other suggestions on cameras as well. I've never owened a DLSR just wanna be fuji s5100. Thanks, Lazyday

learning member

Re: Should I just flip a coin?

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyday
    I'm looking to buy a DLSR within the month. My only problem is I'm Torn between two. My first choice has been the Fuji S3 Pro, and the other is the Nikon D70. I see that lots of people use the D70 and it seems to get great reviews. But being a Fuji fan I'm partial to the S3. the S3 boast the 12mp pics but I know they are really just two types of 6mp put together. Also the S3 is bad for its slow speed. What would your opinoin be on which type of camera to get. and I'm open to other suggestions on cameras as well. I've never owened a DLSR just wanna be fuji s5100. Thanks, Lazyday
    Sounds to me like you'd be flipping 12-14 hundred dollar bills for a camera thats not really any better than the D 70. you could buy 1 or 2 great lenses for that money!
    In between are the cannon 20D and the minolta 7D. The 20D has probably the best sensor in class, and shoots at 5 frames per sec. Minolta has a bunch'a knobs and dials that make changeing camera settings very easy and fast. Plus you get image stableization that works with every lens. 2 caveats with the minolta are slower flash sync and quirky propriatary flashmount.
    and then theres the d 70. I have it. It does almost everything well. The kit lens is great, (18-70). And you'll still have 1200 bucks for more glass or flash, or whatever.
    Very often I do have a yearning for Image stabilization and wish I had bought a minolta, but then I would be wishing for the flash capabilities of nikon.
    Good luck,
    Mark

I have a Fuji S3 Pro and a Nikon D-100. If you set the S3 up correctly, use custom WB it will make the worlds best jpgs. All you will need to do is crop and print. I am truly amazed at home my work flow has been reduced. I only shoot RAW if I am rushed or I have doubts about the correctness of my exposure. On the down side and I think it's a major drawback. If you are in a fast action environment you will need to set the dynamic range on regular and probably shoot at 6 mp vs 12 mp. At that point I haul out the D-100 which is such a work horse.

Now having said all that I started out on the Nikon path with a F-100 and once you drop a bunch of change into good glass, changing to different manufacture's body is a major bummer. If I were starting out again from ground level I would go with the Canon's. Better technology, better performance for the price.

Bobby
    WolfGrafx Photography

I have had a Fuji S3 Pro since the beginning of this year. It is a realy good camera except for action photography unless you plan when to take the shot in advance. I have just sent it back to Fuji for sensor cleaning It is Costing £66.98 inclusive of VAT and delivery back to me. It still gets very good reviews. I must admit that I have become a Fuji fan as I have had about four of there camera's so far. Picture quality is fantastic, it also helps if you own a Epson Printer as well..

Quote Originally Posted by mdmc
    Sounds to me like you'd be flipping 12-14 hundred dollar bills for a camera thats not really any better than the D 70. you could buy 1 or 2 great lenses for that money!
    In between are the cannon 20D and the minolta 7D. The 20D has probably the best sensor in class, and shoots at 5 frames per sec. Minolta has a bunch'a knobs and dials that make changeing camera settings very easy and fast. Plus you get image stableization that works with every lens. 2 caveats with the minolta are slower flash sync and quirky propriatary flashmount.
    and then theres the d 70. I have it. It does almost everything well. The kit lens is great, (18-70). And you'll still have 1200 bucks for more glass or flash, or whatever.
    Very often I do have a yearning for Image stabilization and wish I had bought a minolta, but then I would be wishing for the flash capabilities of nikon.
    Good luck,
    Mark

Just go and buy a Fuji S3 Pro it is a fantastic camera. Read all the reviews they all praise it..
    Best of luck.
    Colin

What do you shoot? Neither camera is really fast, but if you need what the Fuji's got then I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. I've been shooting an S2 for a couple years and it's great.

Thread Information