Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: Tripod Height

Tripod Height

Im thinking of getting the 3001Pro tripod but not sure about the 47" max height without center column extended and 57" with column extended. Is that high enough? I am 5'11" in height.

Thanks

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Well, can't speak for everyone, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Drache
    Is that high enough? I am 5'11" in height...
    ...IMO that's not a very tall tripod. Still, it may serve your needs. I'm not sure why you mention your height. The height range of a tripod should be so you can effectviely position the camera where you want it to get the angle of view that you want. I don't see the photographer's height as being a factor.

So, the bottom line depends on what type of work you want to use it for (and how much you have to cart it around). For basic landscapes or cityscapes, a shorter tripod will probably be fine. For portraits or fashion or even some photojournalism, where you might want a more severe angle to create a distintive look or unique view, you may find a tripod that short a bit limiting...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Tripod Height

I added my height because ive seen other people putting that info with their tripod questions. Well thanks for telling me this so i dont keep making a fool of myself.

Yea i dont do portrait photography, but i think i will just get the taller 3021Pro

Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Drache
    I added my height because ive seen other people putting that info with their tripod questions. Well thanks for telling me this so i dont keep making a fool of myself.
    You're not making a fool of yourself. The rule is, "The only stupid question is the question you don't ask." In this case, I think that covers including extra information that may or may not be important. Better to include than not include it.

The issues are height vs and and weight. If size and weight aren't an issue, then get the biggest tripod you can afford. You can always get up on a stepladder if you want more height.
    Last edited by Photo-John; 09-19-2006 at 05:03 PM.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I would think that your height is important as it relates to your eye level height.
    Doesn't do much good to get a tripod for its height if you can't see throught the viewfinder.
    I'll be shopping for a tripod in the not too distant future as I'm still using one I bought at a flea market in 1985. I'll be looking for its "minimum" height as I do some flower photography and other low level shots.

frog

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Not relevant...

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    I would think that your height is important as it relates to your eye level height.
    The height of a tripod is simply to (besides keeping a camera steady) place it at a certain position to get a specific angle of view for the shot. It's then up to the shooter to figure out how to look through the viewfinder to compose the shot.

As John smartly points out, a small step ladder (or even a large one) can easily bring a photog up to the level of a camera's viewfinder on a large tripod. These ladders are standard gear for any pro...

BTW, I also agree that the only thing that should limit a shooter's tripod size is how much he or she is willing to shlep around. Obviously, if you like to carry one while hiking or biking, a small one is the way to go...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

I had a 3001 and am now using a Gitzo that's about the same height. At 6'1", it can get a little tiring to use for a long time and it's best not to use the center column if you can avoid it. However, I did have a tripod that was much taller than me and while it was nice to use, it was very heavy and it didn't get used very often. So - I guess it's not that big of a deal. If I was shooting a lot in situations where the tripod height wasn't that big of a deal to my shot (long distance shots with a telephoto, for example) then I'd probably get something taller. So - I guess overall it isn't that big of a deal...

Thread Information