Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Torn between Rebel and Rebel XT

i dont think i will need the whole 8mp...so im leaning towards the regular Rebel...is there any reason why i should step up to the XT? are the other upgrades worth the extra $200?

Re: Torn between Rebel and Rebel XT

The XT is a great camera on paper but when I actually got to hold one I didn't like it at all. Not only does it feel very cheap and chinsy but it's so small that, at least to me, it's size is a detriment. I can't get a good stable hold on it to shoot and it's even more awkward to try to hold it and navigate the menus. Some people love them but if I were shopping in that price range I would look for a rebel or a used 10D. If you're willing to spend a little more and are lucky enough to find a used 20D, it's an extraordinary machine and well worth every penny more than the others.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Welcome to the forum.

If I had it to do over again, I would go with the XT. I think the upgrades over the original Rebel are well worth $200, based on what I have read. It's not just more pixels, there are many other upgrades as well. But then again, if you don't want things like mirror lock-up, and more continuous shots, then maybe the upgrades aren't worth the $200 to you. It's been said on this site many times before, get the best that you can afford so you don't feel the need to upgrade a month down the road. The XT is a bit smaller and lighter than the original, which some people like. If you have small hands, it might feel good to you. Go to a camera store and hold them both and see what feels the best to you. Consider what you will be using the camera for, and where you want to go with photography and choose the camera that best fits your current and future needs and feels right to you. Good luck.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

thank you for your opinions, i went to best buy...i love the XT and they dont hold the regular 300D anymore...so i guess its a sign to go witht he XT thanks,.

Liz

Good decision IMO - comes from an XT owner.

Let me just mention there is a big learning curve - so don't be discouraged if you don't get awesome images right off the bat.........with this camera, you have to learn quite a bit. Actually, I'm someone who needs "XT for dummies" although I've heard others want to return it because they haven't learned to use it.

Enjoy it - it's an awesome camera.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by flipm3
    thank you for your opinions, i went to best buy...i love the XT and they dont hold the regular 300D anymore...so i guess its a sign to go witht he XT thanks,.

Thread Information