Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Tamron 18-270 VC

I'm going on vacation to Buffalo River National Park and I heard that it's a beautiful place to shoot. I have a D70 and want to know if you think the Tamron 18-270 VC is a good enough lens to use.

I am just starting to learn about DSLR and need some advice.

Re: Tamron 18-270 VC

Wendy-
    I'm sorry no one has answered your question yet. I actually started to on the weekend but something got screwed up and I lost my post

Anyway, I haven't actually used the Tamron 18-300mm VC lens. But I have used the 28-300mm VC lens that preceded it. I had the 28-300mm for review for a while and I thought it was pretty good - especially for that zoom range. With the exception of the Canon 28-300mm L IS lens, which costs about $2500, most superzooms require some pretty significant optical compromises. So I was impressed at how good the Tamron 28-300 VC lens was. Is it the sharpest lens I've ever used? Not by a longshot. But it was totally useable at all focal lengths. And I have been really impressed with Tamron's Vibration Compensation image stabilization system. I think it works really well.

Here's my full Tamron 28-300mm XR Di VC lens review >>

As far as user reviews and ratings go, neither lens has a stellar rating. But they aren't rated badly, either:

Tamron AF28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC LD Zoom Lens User Reviews >>
    Tamron AF18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Zoom Lens User Reviews >>

The 28-300mm VC lens has Tamron's "XR" designation, indicating it uses their best optics. The 18-270mm lens is not an XR lens, so it might not be quite as good as the 28-300mm. For that reason, you might consider getting the 28-300mm VC lens instead. It will also give you a little more reach. And assuming you already have a kit lens for whatever camera you own, you've already got the wide end covered, anyhow.

Sorry again that it took so long for someone to help you. I hope my reply is useful to you. If you've got more questions, don't hesitate to post again
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thanks Photo-John! I purchased the 18-270. It should be in by Friday. I like the convienence of not having to change lenses. We'll see if it works out or not. Just like everything else in life; you don't know if you'll like it until you try it. I've read a ton of reviews on it and for the most part they are positive.
    I have a Nikon D70 w/ a 24-85mm lens
    Thanks again :0)

I expect it will be great for you. I understand about only wanting to carry one lens. For that very reason I have the Canon 18-200mm IS lens. It's a bit of an optical compromise. But the convenience makes up for that

Please write a review for your lens after your trip! User reviews are the foundation of the site. We have a review contest now, too. So write a review and you could win some gear from F-Stop:

F-Stop Camera Review Contest >>

Have a great trip and don't hesitate to post again if you have more questions!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy Lynn
    I have a D70 and want to know if you think the Tamron 18-270 VC is a good enough lens to use.
    I think no one else responded because we don't know what "good enough" means.

Is this place a once-in-a-lifetime place? Do you expect to see some unique scenes? Convenience verses image quality is a personal choice that is difficult for others to answer without knowing what you plan to do with the images.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Thread Information