Tamron 18-270 VC

Printable View

• 06-12-2010, 09:41 PM
    Wendy Lynn
    Tamron 18-270 VC
    I'm going on vacation to Buffalo River National Park and I heard that it's a beautiful place to shoot. I have a D70 and want to know if you think the Tamron 18-270 VC is a good enough lens to use.

I am just starting to learn about DSLR and need some advice.
  • 06-15-2010, 06:06 PM
    Photo-John
    Re: Tamron 18-270 VC
    Wendy-
    I'm sorry no one has answered your question yet. I actually started to on the weekend but something got screwed up and I lost my post :(

Anyway, I haven't actually used the Tamron 18-300mm VC lens. But I have used the 28-300mm VC lens that preceded it. I had the 28-300mm for review for a while and I thought it was pretty good - especially for that zoom range. With the exception of the Canon 28-300mm L IS lens, which costs about $2500, most superzooms require some pretty significant optical compromises. So I was impressed at how good the Tamron 28-300 VC lens was. Is it the sharpest lens I've ever used? Not by a longshot. But it was totally useable at all focal lengths. And I have been really impressed with Tamron's Vibration Compensation image stabilization system. I think it works really well.

Here's my full Tamron 28-300mm XR Di VC lens review >>

As far as user reviews and ratings go, neither lens has a stellar rating. But they aren't rated badly, either:

Tamron AF28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC LD Zoom Lens User Reviews >>
    Tamron AF18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Zoom Lens User Reviews >>

The 28-300mm VC lens has Tamron's "XR" designation, indicating it uses their best optics. The 18-270mm lens is not an XR lens, so it might not be quite as good as the 28-300mm. For that reason, you might consider getting the 28-300mm VC lens instead. It will also give you a little more reach. And assuming you already have a kit lens for whatever camera you own, you've already got the wide end covered, anyhow.

Sorry again that it took so long for someone to help you. I hope my reply is useful to you. If you've got more questions, don't hesitate to post again :)
  • 06-16-2010, 12:10 AM
    Wendy Lynn
    Thanks Photo-John! I purchased the 18-270. It should be in by Friday. I like the convienence of not having to change lenses. We'll see if it works out or not. Just like everything else in life; you don't know if you'll like it until you try it. I've read a ton of reviews on it and for the most part they are positive.
    I have a Nikon D70 w/ a 24-85mm lens
    Thanks again :0)
  • 06-16-2010, 07:47 AM
    Photo-John
    I expect it will be great for you. I understand about only wanting to carry one lens. For that very reason I have the Canon 18-200mm IS lens. It's a bit of an optical compromise. But the convenience makes up for that :)

Please write a review for your lens after your trip! User reviews are the foundation of the site. We have a review contest now, too. So write a review and you could win some gear from F-Stop:

F-Stop Camera Review Contest >>

Have a great trip and don't hesitate to post again if you have more questions!
  • 06-17-2010, 08:53 PM
    Loupey
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wendy Lynn
    I have a D70 and want to know if you think the Tamron 18-270 VC is a good enough lens to use.

I think no one else responded because we don't know what "good enough" means.

Is this place a once-in-a-lifetime place? Do you expect to see some unique scenes? Convenience verses image quality is a personal choice that is difficult for others to answer without knowing what you plan to do with the images.