Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Still a little unsure to what direction to go

I've been looking at SLR's for a while now and still mixed up on what I should get, right now I've come to this;
    D80
    50mm f/1.8

and maybe Sigma 30mm f/1.4 prime

and later on a 18-200mm VR

My questions are though, should I get a faster 50mm like a f/1.4 f/1.6 and for a noobie like myself what would be the real perks of it? and what would be a great alternative to the kits lens, like what else would I need there between 18-55? would I need one? and should I go for 18-200mm VR or something like 70-300mm VR if so I'd need something like 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G right. and as for speedlight which would be the wisest choice to go for sb-400/sb-600/sb-800 would the differences be signifigant?

sorry but :mad2: over it.

MB1

Re: Still a little unsure to what direction to go

Well the first thing to do is get the camera and just one or two lenses. Learning how to use the camera while taking a bunch of images will pretty much tell you which lens to get next. Those lenses will still be there once you are able to make an informed decision about what your needs are.

BTW those "kit" zoom lenses are usually a very good deal when ordered with the new body, better yet they are often available on e-bay for a song.
    No, I DON'T need that.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadFred
    I've been looking at SLR's for a while now and still mixed up on what I should get, right now I've come to this;
    D80
    50mm f/1.8

and maybe Sigma 30mm f/1.4 prime

and later on a 18-200mm VR

My questions are though, should I get a faster 50mm like a f/1.4 f/1.6 and for a noobie like myself what would be the real perks of it? and what would be a great alternative to the kits lens, like what else would I need there between 18-55? would I need one? and should I go for 18-200mm VR or something like 70-300mm VR if so I'd need something like 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G right. and as for speedlight which would be the wisest choice to go for sb-400/sb-600/sb-800 would the differences be signifigant?

sorry but :mad2: over it.
    I would get the D80 with the 18-200VR Nikon zoom and the Nikon SB600 flash and use it for awhile and then determine what else you might need. I think you will find this combination will cover a large majority of your picture taking. I do own each of the items I have recommended, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

alright thanks im looking at the d80 and the 18-200 then
    Last edited by DeadFred; 04-03-2008 at 05:54 PM.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Where are you looking and have you read the dealer feedback forum threads?
    I haven't shopped for a while so not sure what things are running for but I see body only for 729 and 18-200 vr fir 679 at B&H
    I have the 18-135 and think it is a very good walk around lens...quick and quiet but I'd trade it in a flash for the 18-200.
    Everybody should have a 50mm prime if they want really sharp photos on a budget.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    Where are you looking and have you read the dealer feedback forum threads?
    I haven't shopped for a while so not sure what things are running for but I see body only for 729 and 18-200 vr fir 679 at B&H
    I have the 18-135 and think it is a very good walk around lens...quick and quiet but I'd trade it in a flash for the 18-200.
    Everybody should have a 50mm prime if they want really sharp photos on a budget.
    I was looking at www.memoryexpress.com , their store is like 5 minutes walk from my work, so I can pick it up there without having to worry about s&h and 6 week shipping from U.S. to Canada, even though the 5% tax and extra few $$ is a downfall.

What I'm looking at now I guess is D80 + 50mm prime + 18-200mm vr then.

Would there be any need for Sigma 30mm f/1.4 or a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 as well?

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I have no experience with the sigma or tamron but unless you need the speed I 'd wait and just get the 18-200 and 50 and after you've figured out what you want to shoot, you'll figure out what other lenses you need.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I would agree w/ Frog - go with the 18-200 and the 50mm F/1.8. That will allow you to do a wide range of photography without breaking the bank. After you get used to those lenses, if you see that you'd like something else in your range, you can get it. But those two should be more than enough to start out with.
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

Don't read this post

I agree that the D80 with 18-200 and 50mm f1.8 with perhaps a SB600 is the most sensible choice right now.

So that's settled. Your mind is at rest. Don't read the rest of this post unless you want to be all undecided again.

Chasseurs d'Images (well-informed French magazine) says that the D90 is due for release before summer with perhaps some new prime lenses. The D90 will probably be like the D80 with a load of parts from the D300. This means two things:

- the price of the D80 will drop to clear stock
    - you could also choose the D90 with 16-85mm VR and perhaps a 30mm f1.8 VR. (just guessing on this last article)

Sorry but I had to say it.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

ok, thanks aeveryone, appreciate it

Thread Information